- 9 Story Distribution International licensed its new animated series Luo Bao Bei (52 x 11’) to ABC KIDS in Australia, which has picked up both English and Mandarin versions and premiered the series in celebration of Chinese New Year. The show is produced by Magic Mall Ent., created by Grace Tian and written by Dave Ingham (Shaun the Sheep), and animated by Cloth Cat Animation in Wales.
- Anima’s preschool series Cleo & Cuquin (52 x 7’) continues its international expansion, debuting on Nick Jr. US where it airs weekdays at 2:30 p.m. The Spanish company has also secured Mattel as global master toy licensee for the brand, with a toy line coming to US shelves within a year, and has reached a global agreement with Netflix.
- Entertainment One secured new content deals for hit preschool superhero series PJ Masks with three leading VOD platforms which will mark the property’s entry in China starting this Spring. Season one (52 x 11’) will be available on Tencent, iQiYi and Youku. eOne is also setting up a dedicated PJ Masks consumer products program for the market — the brand already boasts 600 licensees around the world.
- Foothill Entertainment is now seeking pre-sales and co-production partners for a new CGI series rendition of Heathcliff (52 x 11’), currently in development. The classic street cat prankster character is getting an update from producer Steve Wareman (Stuart Little, Alvin and the Chipmunks) and studio Film Roman (The Simpsons).
- Monster Entertainment is now bringing the rhythm and magic of African toon Jabu’s Jungle S3 to the world. The latest season has been snagged by Gulli Africa, with all three seasons snagged by Econet Media, Africa Channel and Africa on Demand. Further, Orange ME in Kuwait has acquired S1 and S2. And The Times Group, top broadcaster in Malawi, has made a two year commitment to the Pixcomm studio production.
- Nat Geo Kids Latin America, National Geographic Partners’ multiplatform entertainment destination for kids 4-8, has picked up Pablo — the first ever kids’ animated series with an autistic central character. Distributed by CAKE and produced by Paper Owl Films, the series is set to launch across Latin America on the Nat Geo Kids App & TV platform in April in conjunction with World Autism Awareness Day.
- The original 10-episode package of Tulipop animated shorts is making the leap from YouTube to linear TV thanks to a pickup from Iceland pubcaster RUV. Additionally, 10 new episodes are being co-produced for YT by WildBrain, scripted by Tobi Wilson and Brydie Lee-Kennedy. The Tulipop YT channel has reached 1 million views in just four months, and a 52 x 11’ series is in development. The brand is created by illustrator Signy Kolbeinsdottir and marketing expert Helga Arnadottir.
- UYoung Media (China) has inked an expanded agreement with Australia’s Cheeky Little Media, which will see the former distribute all of the studio’s future content in Mainland China (on top of its existing partnership on Kazoops and Bottersnikes & Gumbles) as well as handling licensing and consumer products rights for these brands in the territory. The agreement also allows for co-development collabs on properties for China and worldwide.
- Viacom International Media Networks has secured a slew of deals for Nick Jr. favorites. Nella the Princess Knight will ride to RTVE’s Clan TV (Spain), TV Cultura (Brazil), iQiyi (China) and Channel One (Russia, additional S1 episodes). PAW Patrol S3 was snapped up by TV Cultura, S4 by Channel One, and the series is also headed to iQiyi, Mango TV (China) and Clan. And further seasons of Shimmer and Shine will grant wishes on Channel One, CLan TV, Telewizja Polska (Poland), Canal Panda’s Dreamia (Portugal) and TV Cultura — the latter two also nabbed Rusty Rivets.
- YouTube TV added a number of Turner Broadcasting channels to its offerings, including Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TBS, TNT, CNN, truTV and Turner Classic Movies, as well as a bunch of sportsball stuff. The internet TV outlet also revealed an expansion to all top 100 US markets, as well as a price increase of $40 per month for new members effective March 13.
More in Television
With 2019 drawing to a close, FMX – Conference on Animation, Effects, Games and Immersive ...
Fred Rogers Productions, the celebrated nonprofit children’s entertainment producer behind the Emmy Award-winning PBS KIDS ...
Pokémon fans who have been exploring the Galar region in Sword & Shield will soon ...