Three new heartwarming winter episodes of Molly of Denali are coming to PBS KIDS December 7-9 (check local listings), helping to make the season brighter for kids and families across the country. The pubcaster will also be making new holiday memories with a two-part Christmas episode of Pinkalicious & Peterrific. And throughout the month, families can revisit festive memories with a slate of returning seasonal specials from fan-favorite series.
Molly of Denali holiday episodes:
“Spring Carnival / Tooey’s Hole-i-day Sweater” – Premieres Monday, December 7 on PBS KIDS (check local listings)
- Spring Carnival – Auntie Midge loves to emcee Spring Carnival, but a hurt hip takes her out of commission. With help from Mr. Patak, Molly and Tooey build a special sled chair for Auntie Midge that will let her move over snow and ice, allowing the elder to participate in her favorite event. Alaska Native Value: Take Care of Others – You Cannot Live without Them.
- Tooey’s Hole-i-day Sweater – Tooey’s finally outgrown an ugly, hand-me-down Christmas sweater knit by his Grandma Elizabeth. All is well until Luka accidentally takes a bite and leaves a gaping hole in the front. Can Molly and Tooey fix it before Grandma arrives for the holidays? Alaska Native Value: Accept What Life Brings, Honor Your Elders.
- Interstitial: Land Acknowledgement – Kids visit the Anchorage Museum and learn what a land acknowledgement is. Later, they write a land acknowledgment for their school.
“By Sled or Snowshoe / The Shortest Birthday” – Premieres Tuesday, December 8 on PBS KIDS (check local listings)
- By Sled or Snowshoe – Grandpa Nat and Nina are out in the field observing an active volcano when it erupts! When their camera breaks, Molly persuades Tooey and her mom to deliver a new one – and to see a real-life volcano. But getting there won’t be easy. With the help of Tooey, Mr. Patuk, and her parents, Molly works to deliver a replacement video camera to Nina and her grandpa at an active volcano site. She experiences several setbacks during this journey that she cannot control. However, her persistence and quick thinking allow her to keep moving forward. Alaska Native Value: Persistence.
- The Shortest Birthday – It’s winter solstice and Trini’s birthday. Molly and Tooey have planned the perfect present — a trip to Qyah’s best bird-watching spot. With only a few hours of daylight and after much delay, they reach the special spot at dusk, only to encounter an extra special surprise. Though they keep forgetting pieces of their surprise, they keep moving forward and end up having fun with Trini in the end. Alaska Native Value: Accept What Life Brings – You Cannot Control Many Things.
- Interstitial: Traditional Ahtna Town Names – Kids sing a song about the Ahtna names of places and use a map key to identify those sites on a map.
“The Whole Mitten Kaboodle / Eagle Tale” – Premieres Wednesday, December 9 on PBS KIDS (check local listings)
- The Whole Mitten Kaboodle – After realizing she’s lost one of her favorite Suki mittens, Molly must retrace her steps around Qyah in order to track it down. Molly uses a flow diagram to connect her various activities throughout the day into a unified series of events in order to track down her lost mitten. Alaska Native Value: Seeing Connections – All Things are Related.
- Eagle Tale – It’s Father’s Day and Molly has the perfect idea for a gift – a storytelling performance complete with animal masks. Trini, Tooey and Oscar are ready and willing to perform…or they would be if Molly could get them organized! Luckily, Auntie Midge steps in with some tips and tricks for staving off this Father’s Day disaster! Alaska Native Value: Honoring Your Elders – They Show You the Way in Life.
- Interstitial: Biking on Campbell Creek Trail – A group of kids in Anchorage, Alaska take a bike ride along the Campbell Creek Trail. Before riding, they perform a bike safety check using steps outlined in a flow diagram.
Pinkalicious & Peterrific
“Gingerbread House / Christmas Tree Trouble” – Premieres Monday, December 7 on PBS KIDS (check local listings)
- Gingerbread House – Pinkalicious and Peter build a pinkamazing gingerbread house that attracts Sarafina, a holiday fairy. But as pieces of the house begin to go missing, it’s up to Pinkalicious to find the sneaky snacker before all that’s left are crumbs.
- Christmas Tree Trouble – It’s time to decorate the Pinkerton’s Christmas tree! But when the box holding the family’s ornaments breaks hours before the holiday party, it will take some creativity and pinkamagination to bring back the family’s Christmas spirit.
- Live-Action Interstitial – Kids decorate for the holidays by creating snowpeople made out of socks and other art materials.
Returning holiday specials (Dec. 4-27):
- Curious George “A Very Monkey Christmas”
- Wild Kratts “A Creature Christmas”
- Nature Cat “A Nature Carol”
- Let’s Go Luna! “Luna’s Christmas Around the World”
- The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About Christmas!
- Peg + Cat + Holidays