DreamWorks Animation announced that a fourth season of the hit series Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous will return to Netflix on December 3. The news was shared to social media feeds on Friday with a motion poster teasing a journey to a new island for our young heroes…
— DreamWorks Animation (@Dreamworks) October 15, 2021
Inspired by the blockbuster Jurassic World franchise, the animated series follows six teenagers chosen for a once-in-a-lifetime experience at Camp Cretaceous, a new adventure camp on the opposite side of Isla Nublar, who must work together to survive when dinosaurs wreak havoc across the island. From DreamWorks Animation, Universal Pictures and Amblin Entertainment, the series is executive produced by Steven Spielberg, Colin Trevorrow and Frank Marshall, alongside executive producers and showrunners Scott Kreamer and Aaron Hammersley.
Nickelodeon India continues to lead the nation’s homegrown animation revolution, announcing its 11th original kids’ IP Chikoo aur Bunty, premiering October 18 and set to air Monday-Friday at 10 a.m. Powered by Phillips, in association with Pediasure and Flipkart shopsy, the series is a tongue-in-cheek comedy that reflects the familiar jabs of sibling rivalry. Set in a middle-class home where Chikoo and Bunty live with their parents and a playful and intelligent dog, Barfi, the 11-minute episodic series spotlights the fun, sometimes sweet and sometimes sour banter and rivalry between the two brothers competing for affection and goodies, while avoiding being reprimanded by their parents for their mischief. Chikoo aur Bunty is complemented by a robust multi-screen and multi-touchpoint marketing plan, and boasts a toe-tapping music video written by Gulzaar Saab.
“Nickelodeon has always stayed ahead of the curve by introducing kids to characters that are loved and adored. We have consistently catered to our young viewers’ evolving preferences with innovative entertainment and immersive storytelling and enhanced engagement experiences. Continuing to lead the dynamic kids’ space is a testimony of our thought-through business and content strategies. With the launch of Chikoo aur Bunty, we will add further width and depth to our portfolio of ‘Made in India IPs’ and provide impetus to our mission of entertaining kids and creating an evolved kids ecosystem.” — Nina Elavia Jaipuria, Head of Hindi Mass Entertainment & Kids TV Networks, Viacom18.
“At Nickelodeon, our journey with local content kicked off almost a decade ago. We have always introduced our young viewers to storylines and characters that are relatable, engaging and clutter breaking. The success of our past IPs reinforces our commitment and drive to serve our young audience with content that continues to raise the bar. The launch of our new IP, Chikoo aur Bunty, will showcase a realistic representation of the relationship between two siblings who compete for the smallest of things but love each other equally. We look forward to enthralling kids with this unique concept of sibling rivalry and unlimited dose of comedy.” — Anu Sikka, Head – Creative, Content & Research, Kids TV Networks, Viacom18.
Chikoo aur Bunty joins “Made in India” Nicktoons such as Ting Tong, Golmaal Jr., Motu Patlu, Shiva and Rudra. The last IP launched, Happy & Pinaki – The Bhoot Bandhus was also a runaway hit, consistently appearing in the top 10 highest rated slots of the category every week since its launch. The network boasts h 700+ hours of local content.
Media Prima’s content arm Primeworks Studios and WAU Animation is teaming up with Disney+ Hotstar for Ejen Ali Season 3. The announcement marks a major milestone for the Malaysian industry, as the country’s first animation property co-produced by the streaming platform. “We are honored to have Disney+ Hotstar signing-on as a co-producer of Ejen Ali Season 3 as it represents a significant endorsement for the Ejen Ali brand,” said director Usamah Zaid Yasin, CEO of WAU Animation. “It has been a lifelong dream for all of us at WAU Animation to create a truly Malaysian hero with all our uniquely local story sensibilities and cultural influences. Just as the many Disney animated films have inspired us, we hope Ejen Ali’s visibility alongside the iconic Disney characters on Disney+ Hotstar will then inspire the next generation of Malaysian creators to tell their stories in the animation medium. We cannot wait to see the reactions from fans when Ali’s next mission is revealed in 2022.”
Following the events of Ejen Ali The Movie, S3 sees Ejen Ali and the young Ejens from MATA Academy as they are reunited for a secret Ejen competition, the MATA Arena. Joined by several diverse recruits from MATA’s international division, Ali strives to pursue his late mother’s path of becoming MATA’s best but struggles to cope without IRIS. Meanwhile, Rizwan grows wary as he discovers a new threat looming over Cyberaya. The award-winning animation series is expected to hit screens in 2022 in four territories: Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand.
Russia’s oldest animation studio SMF Studio (Soyuzmultfilm) is staying in demand, celebrating its 85th anniversary year with a raft of deals from MIPCOM for a number of its series and classic short films.
- Long-term partner Joy Media (China) has picked up new 2D upper preschool comedy Meowgic (52 x 7′), about a girl and her wish-granting cat.
- Sales agent Jetpack has sold preschool edutainment shortform Claymotions (62 x 2.5′) to HOP! (Israel), with YLE signing on as distributor in Finland.
- The Secrets of Honey Hills 3D CGI series for Kids 4-6 (52 x 7′), produced with Unreal Engine, has also been picked up by HOP! as well as Česká televise (Czech Rep.) through a deal with Sola Media, representing SMF titles globally.
- SMF’s Golden Collection of 300 classic cartoons continues to pick up new audiences around the world, landing in Baltic countries through Latvian broadcaster Tet.
Sales and acquisitions updates:
- Guru Studio has appointed Reesee Entertainment as its licensing and media agency for preschool series Pikwik Pack in China. Currently the series has been picked up by Tencent, Youku, Xiaomi, Haixin, Kukai, TCL and national IPTVs covering over 60 platforms in over 30 provinces in China. The series is expected to premiere in November 2021 with strong licensing programs and toy distribution to follow.
- SPI International acquired the digital distribution rights of the classic TV series The Smurfs and the feature-length film The Smurfs and the Magic Flute from worldwide licensors LAFIG Belgium and IMPS for its digital assets, such as FilmBox on demand, FilmBox+, Film1 and Filmstream. The series will be available on-demand with English, Turkish, Dutch and Polish dub options.
- WarnerMedia Latin America has acquired rights to Be-be-bears, Leo & Tig and Cutie Cubies — created by Paravoz Studio and commissioned by Digital Television Russia — to stream on HBO Max across Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America in Spanish, Portuguese and English.
- Moonbug Entertainment also secured further expansion across Latin America on HBO Max through an extended partnership with WarnerMedia Latin America. The deal covers Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese episodes of Blippi, My Magic Pet Morphle, Mia’s Magic Playground and Little Baby Bum.