Disney Channels EMEA unveiled a first look at several new animated series — including 101 Dalmatian Street, Gigantosaurus, and Space Chickens In Space — as well as acquisitions and renewals at the Annecy International Animation Festival
Noting the 20th anniversary of Disney Channel France, senior VP and GM Hélène Etzi said the Disney Channel is committed to backing local animation productions.
Eric Coleman, senior VP original programming and GM of Disney Television Animation, presented a look at Disney XD’s new DuckTales series and the new main title launching with season three of hit series Star vs. The Forces of Evil.
Orion Ross, VP – head of animation, digital and acquisitions, unveiled new commissions:
- 101 Dalmatian Street, an original animated series inspired by Dodie Smith’s 1956 novel and Walt Disney’s 1961 film One Hundred and One Dalmatians. The series takes place in 21st century London, and follows the adventures of eldest siblings Dylan and Dolly, their parents Doug and Delilah, and 97 younger puppies whose names also all begin with “D”. Based on a pitch by Anttu Harlin and Joonas Utti from Finnish studio Gigglebug Entertainment, and developed by Disney’s original animation team in London with Oscar and BAFTA winning Passion Animation Studios, the series is written by Maria O’Loughlin and directed by Miklos Weigert. The series will be produced in the United Kingdom, with Passion Animation Studios in London as the lead producer. 101 Dalmatian Street has been commissioned for 48 x 11 min. episodes, as well as two special 22 min. episodes, and will roll out on Disney Channel around the world starting in autumn 2018.
- Gigantosaurus, based on the book by British author and illustrator Johnny Duddle and produced by Cyber Group Studios, will come to Disney Junior worldwide in 2019. The series follows four young dinosaur friends who explore a prehistoric world of adventure where the most exciting mystery of all is Gigantosaurus himself, the biggest and fiercest dinosaur anyone has ever seen. Inquisitive Mazu, playful Tiny, timid Bill and courageous Rocky all want to discover the secrets of the elusive Gigantosaurus, and will find out they all have something to learn from him too. Gigantosaurus is presold to France Televisions in France and Super RTL in Germany and will be directed by Olivier Lelardoux.
- Space Chickens In Space is a surreal new comedy designed and directed by Norwegian twins Tommy and Markus Vad Flaaten. Telling the story of a trio of chickens who are mistakenly taken from their homes and enrolled in an elite intergalactic military academy, the series was created by José C. García de Letona & Rita Street, with Jordan Gaucher serving as showrunner. Together with commission partner Channel 9 Australia, Disney XD EMEA has acquired a season of 52 x 11 min. episodes including 11 two-minute shorts. The series is an Anima Estudios/CAKE/Studio Moshi & Gingerbread Co-production and will debut in 2018.
Ross highlighted the high volume of European animation commissioned by Disney Channels EMEA, with eleven series currently in production and more than 300 new half hour episodes set to deliver in the next two years. The slate of new content for Disney Junior includes:
- The magical cooking show Trulli Tales created by Fiorella and Maria-Elena Congedo and produced by Gaumont Animation
- A tale of two tigers called Paprika, produced by Xilam Animation, from showrunner Jean Cayrol, who is the showrunner and also co-creator of the show, with Marion Billet and Baptiste Lucas.
- Claude, about the adventures of little dog with a red beret based on the books by Alex T. Smith and produced by Sixteen South.
The slate for Disney Channel and Disney XD includes:
- The comedy Furry Wheels, created and directed by Frederic Martin and produced by Gaumont Animation
- Sadie Sparks, created and directed by Bronagh O’Hanlon and co-produced by Brown Bag Films and Cyber Group Studios
- Best Bugs, directed by Jean-Paul Guigue and Yann Provost, and produced by Je Suis Bien Content.
Lastly, Ross announced recommissions for two top-performing series, PJ Masks and Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir. Global Disney Junior hit PJ Masks will return for a second season of 52 x 11 mins. episodes in 2018, and a third season is in development with producers eOne and Frogbox, the animation company TeamTO, and commissioning partner France Television.
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir has been picked up for both a second and third season by Disney Channel EMEA, alongside commissioning partner TF1, bringing the total volume to 78 half hour episodes from producers Method Animation and ZAG Toon.