Corus Entertainment announced its powerful 2020-2021 programming slate, featuring riveting new series and long-standing hits, including 43 new and returning Canadian Original series and movies.
As Canada’s leader in specialty entertainment programming, Corus held four of the Top 10 specialty networks this fall, where W Network remained the #1 entertainment specialty network for the third year in a row. A strong testament to Corus’ continued standout schedules, Corus also nabbed 16 of the Top 20 entertainment specialty programs in the fall, including Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty, HISTORY’s The Curse of Oak Island, Showcase’s Batwoman, and many more.
This spring, Corus boasts 10 of the Top 20 specialty networks, including Food Network Canada and HGTV Canada, more than any other broadcaster. As a pioneer in the kids’ space, the company continues to lead, consistently owning four of the Top 5 kids channels: YTV, TELETOON, Treehouse and Disney Junior.
Corus Entertainment reinforces its commitment to premium Canadian programming, while resonating on a global scale through Corus Studios and its industry-leading kids content company, Nelvana. Distributed globally in over 150 territories, Corus Studios content continues to capture audiences with sales of its broad library of formats and series delivering dynamic, informative and entertaining content. This year, Corus Studios greenlights seven new series and boasts 13 returning hits across Food Network Canada, HGTV Canada and HISTORY.
As a world-leading producer and distributor of children’s content, Nelvana’s content is distributed in more than 160 countries worldwide and airs across Corus’ suite of leading kids’ networks. This broadcast season, Nelvana showcases three new series and four returning seasons of fan favourites on YTV and Treehouse.
“Corus is proud to be the leader in exceptional entertainment content across our powerful specialty portfolios, offering compelling unscripted series, charismatic dramas, perennial hits and brilliant family-friendly shows,” said Troy Reeb, EVP Broadcast Networks, Corus Ent. “While the broader television industry has been hit with unprecedented challenges this year, Corus is in the enviable position of having fall schedules jam-packed with fresh, new content – rich with remarkable storytelling and characters that are set to entertain and inspire viewers across the country.”
“As a trailblazer in first-rate, home-grown entertainment, Corus Studios and industry-leading kids content producer, Nelvana, continues to grow and foster Corus’ collection of original programming, while supporting and collaborating with our accomplished production partners and talent,” said Colin Bohm, EVP Content and Corporate Strategy, Corus En. “Our standout slate, highlighting original formats, charming personalities, and solid favourites, matched by Nelvana’s superb offering of premier children’s content, continue to garner international success year after year, bringing in massive audiences and global appeal.”
New & Returning Animation for Many Ages
Celebrating the first anniversary of its launch in Canada this past April, Adult Swim has quickly grown into a powerhouse network, securing itself as a Top 20 specialty station and having more than doubled its audience. This fall includes new seasons of Tigtone, Gemusetto Machu Picchu, Lazor Wulf and the second half of Season 1 of prehistoric series, Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal. Topping off the fall schedule are new seasons of fan favorites Bob’s Burgers and Family Guy. Fans can look forward to a brand new season of Archer this year.
YTV features a fun-filled family-friendly fall schedule with three new Nelvana-produced series, including toons The Dog & Pony Show (26 x 30′) and Ollie’s Pack (26 x 30′).
- The Dog & Pony Show (September 2020) A hilarious new series about two very different best friends who leave their magical world of Rainbow Fjord and move to the not-so-magical big city of UniCity. Between Pony’s outrageous ideas and Dog’s fascination with the mundane, things never quite go as planned, igniting chaotic adventures for them and their friends! Created by Josh Selig, Founder & CEO of Little Airplane Productions (a Studio 100 Company). (Produced by redknot, a joint venture between Nelvana and Discovery Inc.)
- Ollie’s Pack (September 2020) follows Ollie and his backpack, which doubles as a powerful portal allowing an array of monsters to travel from the Monsterverse into Ollie’s world on Earth. Throughout the series, Ollie and his two best friends must protect the earth from the horrifying monsters that have escaped, while often utilizing the helpful monsters who assist with their everyday tween problems, like sneaking into a movie or winning their school’s Battle of the Bands contest. No matter the circumstances, Ollie’s thirst for adventure undoubtedly gets him into trouble that only he and his friends can resolve. (Produced by Nelvana) [Read more.]
Additional buzzworthy series premiering this fall include Kamp Koral: SpongeBob’s Under Years, a brand-new animated spinoff of the beloved hit series. The non-stop fall action also includes new episodes of fan favourites including SpongeBob SquarePants and The Loud House, as well as new seasons of The Casagrandes.
Cartoon lovers rejoice! This fall, best-in-class animation station TELETOON is the hub for two new series that feature familiar characters from iconic shows The Flintstones and Looney Toons, Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs and Looney Tunes Cartoons. The network’s fall lineup is chock-full with new seasons including Total Dramarama (26 x 30′), DC Super Hero Girls and The Tom and Jerry Show, and new episodes of Bakugan: Armored Alliance, ThunderCats Roar, Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? and Teen Titans GO!
- Looney Tunes Cartoons (10 x 15′) (October 2020) echoes the high production value and process of the original Looney Tunes theatrical shorts, with a cartoonist-driven approach to storytelling. Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig and other marquee Looney Tunes characters will be featured in their classic pairings in simple, gag-driven and visually vibrant stories. Each cartoon will vary from one to six minutes in length and, from the premise on through to the jokes, will be “written” and drawn by the cartoonists, allowing their own personality and style to come through in each cartoon. [Read more.]
- Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs (26 x 15′) (September 2020) Pebbles Flintstone and Bamm-Bamm Rubble are best friends growing up in prehistoric times when dinosaurs still walked the earth. They live in the town of Bedrock, a modern stone-age civilization, but whenever they get the chance, Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm head to the open wilderness outside of town known as: The Crags, where the environments are as wild and amazing as the countless different dinosaurs that live there. Together, with the help of their crazy but faithful dinosaur, Dino, and their clinical but endlessly accommodating “smart stone” app, Wicky (a bird), Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm travel around The Crags helping new friends, fighting new enemies and learning about life and friendship through their endless crazy adventures.
Treehouse is the place to be for preschoolers and parents with an array of enriching series rooted in teaching important lessons and skills – all while having fun! Nelvana-produced series Esme & Roy (26 x 30′) and Ranger Rob (26 x 30′) return for new seasons. Plus, following its massive success on YouTube, Nelvana’s Toon Bops will boogie its way onto the network, with Season 1 (21 x 1:50) joining the schedule this summer and Season 2 (20 x 2′) airing in the fall. New bedtime routines will include tuning into the must-see spin-off series, The Not-Too-Late-Show with Elmo. Then, later this year Treehouse delivers a new series, Pikwik Pack (26 x 30′), following four adorable animals as they deliver magical packages filled with love to the kind citizens of Pikwik. In addition, new seasons of preschooler-approved favourites including Sesame Street, Blue’s Clues & You!, Blaze and the Monster Machines, Bubble Guppies, Thomas & Friends and new episodes of Ricky Zoom and Peppa Pig continue this fall.
- Toon Bops (Summer/Fall 2020) Endearing musical shorts encouraging little ones to explore and have fun, Toon Bops will have preschoolers bopping to new beats inspired by pop, country, and R&B! Each music video features original music, a rotating cast of fun-loving animated characters and heartfelt themes such as fun, friendship and family. (Produced by Nelvana)
- The Not-Too-Late-Show with Elmo (September 2020) A spin-off of Sesame Street, the series stars Elmo as the host of his own late-night talk show. It’s main curricular goals are centered around bedtime routines, with each episode helping preschoolers understand a different aspect of getting ready for bedtime. Celebrity guests include: Jimmy Fallon, Kasey Musgraves, Jonas Brothers, Lil Nas X, Blake Lively.
- Pikwik Pack (Winter 2021) follows four adorable animals, Suki the hedgehog, Axel the raccoon, Tibor the hippo and Hazel the cat as they deliver magical packages filled with love to the kind citizens of Pikwik. Every day, a new surprise package arrives. The team might face rough rapids, stormy skies or a foggy forest, but when they work together, they always deliver! The series is packed with big adventures, silly hijinks and heartfelt charm that will entertain preschoolers while underscoring the value of community, responsibility and teamwork. (Produced by Guru Studio)
This 2020-2021 broadcast season, Disney Channel pumps up the fun with returning popular series The Owl House and Amphibia. Disney Junior returning preschooler favourites for 2020-2021 include Puppy Dog Pals, PJ Masks, Mira, Royal Detective, Vampirina, Fancy Nancy, Gigantosaurus and Muppet Babies. On Disney XD, a new season of Marvel’s Spider-Man: Maximum Venom swings onto the schedule for 2020-2021.
This spring, TÉLÉTOON La Nuit, the #1 destination for A18-34 & A18-4 in Quebec, will see the premiere of new series Les Frères Apocalypse / Doomsday Brothers (18 x 30′), which is also set to debut in English on Adult Swim in September. Then, join Professor Zarbi and his loyal assistant, Benjamin for more absurd and wacky adventures in a second season of Les histoires bizarres du professeur Zarbi / The Bizarre Stories of Professor Zarbi (10×30) returning this spring.
- Doomsday Brothers (September 2020) follows the post-apocalyptic misadventures of Rafe and Gabe Burns, two survivalist brothers who are hired to become protectors of their rural hometown. Unbeknownst to them, their long-lost mother Judith is locked in a secret military super bunker. As Judith tries to outwit the super bunker’s sentient computer system and get back to her sons, Rafe and Gabe discover the wonders, horrors, and temptations of the wasteland. (Produced by N1 2 Productions & Portfolio Entertainment)