AMC today announced the first round of voice casting for its new half-hour, stop-motion, animated baby doll series Ultra City Smiths, created by Steve Conrad (Patriot, Perpetual Grace) and Stoopid Buddy Stoodios (Robot Chicken, Crossing Swords).
Slated to premiere Summer 2021, the series will star:
- Jimmi Simpson (Westworld, Black Mirror) as Detective David Mills
- Da’Vine Joy Randolph (Dolemite Is My Name, The United States vs Billie Holiday) as Detective Gail Johnson
- John C. Reilly (Moonbase 8, Ralph Breaks the Internet) as Donovan Smith
- Bebe Neuwirth (Chicago, Cheers) as Lady Andrea The Giant
- Jason Mantzoukas (Big Mouth, Infinite) as Tim the TMZ reporter
- Damon Herriman (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Underground Railroad) as Street Hustler Boy
- Melissa Villaseñor (Saturday Night Live, Toy Story 4) as Sister Mary Margaret
- Kurtwood Smith (That ’70s Show, RoboCop) as Carpenter K. Smith
- Tim Heidecker (Moonbase 8; Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!) as Mayor Kevin de Maximum
- Chris Conrad (Patriot, Perpetual Grace, LTD) as Nico Onasis
- Hana Mae Lee (Patriot, The Babysitter: Killer Queen) as Christina
“We have been very grateful to partner with actors whose talents are as unique, expressive and affecting as the world we all hope to have created in Ultra City and the stories that are found there,” said Conrad.
Additional cast to be announced at a later date.
From AMC Studios and created by Conrad, the Ultra City Smiths (formerly Mega City Smiths) story unfolds via the stop-motion animation of baby dolls repurposed as a grown-up cast of characters. The series hinges on an investigation into the mysterious disappearance of fictional metropolis Ultra City’s most famous magnate (Smith). Two intrepid detectives (Simpson and Randolph) follow the case, rallying to fight against their city’s dangerous corruption, at a high cost to themselves and their families, all in pursuit of a gentler place to call home.
Conrad will serve as showrunner. Stoopid Buddy Stoodios’ Seth Green, John Harvatine IV, Matthew Senreich, Eric Towner and Chris Waters will serve as executive producers along with Jennifer Scher, Jeff Dieter and Thomas J. Glynn.
AMC Studios Content Distribution is managing worldwide sales of the series.
Chris Conrad is represented by Industry Entertainment and Derek Kroeger; Tim Heidecker is represented by UTA and Rise Management; Damon Herriman is represented by APA, Art/Work Entertainment, and LMCM in Australia; Hana Mae Lee is represented by Thirty Three Management, Vox and Barry LIttman; Jason Mantzoukas is represented by Rise Management, UTA and Morris Yorn; Bebe Neuwirth is represented by ICM Partners; Da’Vine Joy Randolph is represented by Lighthouse Entertainment, Paradigm Talent Agency and Fox Rothschild; John C. Reilly is represented by WME and Framework Entertainment; Jimmi Simpson is represented by Industry Entertainment, ICM Partners and Bruce Gelman; Kurtwood Smith is represented by Imperium 7 Talent Agency and Pop Art Management and Melissa Villaseñor is represented by WME, Compound Management and Cohen Gardner.