U.K.-based IKINEMA, specialists in superior real-time whole body solving animation technologies, has released Orion 2.0. The cost effective, high-end motion-capture solution is relied on for its ability to bring a deeper sense of realism with whole body immersion, used in the fields of aerospace, automotive, design, engineering, ergonomics, training, virtual YouTube avatars, virtual experiences, live theater, motion capture for film and games, high-fidelity in-game previz of assets and animation, and more.
IKINEMA has rewritten the core solver to further strengthen the quality of live body motion displayed on 3D animated characters within virtual environments. A new System Health Tracker has been added plus technology fixes completes the revamp.
“IKINEMA’s animation technologies sit at the bleeding-edge, we pride ourselves on offering advancements that ensure efficient delivery of true-to-life character motion and highly interactive virtual experiences every time,” said Chris Petrov, Product Manager, Live Characters, IKINEMA. “Orion’s latest enhancements mean both the user and our quality technology partners the likes of HTC, and Manus VR can continue to rely on our cutting-edge motion-capture solution.”
Orion is compatible with OpenVR hardware such as the HTC Vive (www.vive.com) and
controllers to capture motion of head and hands, and Vive Trackers to capture hips and feet, as well as the Manus VR glove for fingers, enabling full body motion for natural digital avatar movement.
“Providing creators and consumers with our HTC Vive VR system and Vive Tracker technology, coupled with IKINEMA’s Orion high-end motion capture technology equips cross-industries with a reliable, cost-effective and easy to use solution, where the impact of participant experience is of far deeper immersion and believable engagement to explore and interact within their virtual worlds,” explained Graham Wheeler, VP Product and Business Operations, HTC Europe.
Akihiko Shirai, Director at GREE VR Studio Lab, commented: “WFLE, Inc. and GREE VR Studio are working to develop new human beings in VR4.0 era through realising ‘Be yourself, you want to be.’ REALITY Studio is a common stage for VTuber, we support various motion capture systems for all-star talents. IKINEMA Orion is our first, and efficient professional motion-capture solution for daily live program.”
Other prominent Orion customers include All Seeing Eye, AltspaceVR, Cole Engineering Services, L3 Technologies, Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Microsoft, NASA Johnson Space Center, NCSoft, Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe, Tencent, and more.
New to Orion 2.0:
- Major solve quality improvements
- System Health Tracker: real-time monitor and reporting of motion quality, warning message for defect motion with option to stop solve until motion quality is restored, ensuring continuously smooth results in the final animation.
- Recording FBX takes improved
- Correct head tracker/HMD orientation – animation tilt removed
- Hip offset adjustment – manually correct bent knees during live sessions
- Mobile and cost-effective system – capture high quality mocap data combined with low cost consumer hardware
- Capture requires minimum 6 trackers, or 8 trackers for higher fidelity
- Save time with one-step capture workflow
- Optional – Live retarget to custom skeleton, set-up provided by IKINEMA Support for additional fee
Pricing, purchase and more information available at https://ikinema.com/orion.