HBO Max will promote its Asian American and Pacific Islander Voices collection to celebrate AAPI Heritage Month, starting May 1 — amplifying AAPI stories and talent by featuring curated content available on the platform, in addition to the three winning films from the HBO Max Asian Pacific American Visionaries Short Film Competition, directed by up-and-coming AAPI directors.
HBO Max’s collection pages also include Anime and More Global Animation, an anime-centric page which also includes content from Studio Ghibli. During this year’s AAPI Heritage Month, HBO Max will launch the Ani-May initiative, which includes a celebration of iconic anime moments old and new, fashion from Asian animation, Cartoon Network’s Adventure Time and other episodes influenced by anime. In addition, an original meditative rainfall video from Makoto Shinkai’s Weathering With You and a new Adult Swim episode of Ambient Swim inspired by ’90s anime will be featured.
The animation collection includes:
- Studio Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki: Earwig and the Witch (2020), From Up on Poppy Hill (2011), Howl’s Moving Castle (2004), Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984), Ocean Waves (1993), Only Yesterday (1991), Pom Poko (1994), Ponyo (2008), Porco Rosso (1992), Princess Mononoke (1997), Spirited Away (2001)
- Anime movies: Promare (2019), Masaaki Yuasa‘s Night Is Short, Walk on Girl (2017) and Ride Your Wave (2019), Erick Oh‘s short Namoo (2021)
- Anime series: Death Note, Food Wars!, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Hunter x Hunter, In/Spectre, Inuyasha, Jujutsu Kaisen, KonoSuba, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Kill La Kill, Kiznaiver, Mob Psycho 100, Noblesse, Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers-, The God of High School, The Promised Neverland
- Plus Cartoon Network series We Bare Bears and We Baby Bears.
- DC animation (highlighting Asian-American creators like Fan Cathy Yan, Jay Oliva and Sam Liu): All-Star Superman (2011), Batman and Harley Quinn (2017), Batman vs. Robin (2015), Batman: Assault on Arkham (2014), Batman: Bad Blood (2016), Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (2017), Batman: Soul of the Dragon (2021), Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & 2 (2012), Batman: The Killing Joke (2016), Batman: Year One (2011), Catwoman: Hunted (available 5/10), Green Lantern: The Animated Series (2011), Justice League Dark (2017), Justice League vs. Teen Titans (2016), Justice League vs. The Fatal Five (2019), Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010), Justice League: Gods and Monsters (2015), Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013), Justice League: War (2014), Reign of the Supermen (2019), Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (2016), Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2010), Superman: Red Son (2020), Thor: Tales of Asgard (2022 HBO), Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017), The Death of Superman (2018), Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (2019)
Netflix recently revealed release dates and more details for its summer movie slate. IN addition to the previously announced launch of Chris Williams’ The Sea Beast on July 8, the season will have at least one animated highpoint: the eagerly awaited premiere of Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie on August 5. Based on the 2D animated Nickelodeon toon (2018-20), the pic was previously announced as part of the streamer’s 2021 animation slate.
Per that announcement, the movie will see the Ninja Turtles faced with their greatest challenge yet when a mysterious stranger arrives from the future with a dire warning. Leo is forced to rise and lead his brothers, Raph, Donnie and Mikey in a fight to save the world from a terrifying alien species … the Krang! Ant Ward and Andy Suriano are set to direct, and Haley Joel Osment is joining the series cast. Nickelodeon Animation Studios is producing.
Following its announcement of its “Explore the Outdoors” themed lineup — featuring Alma’s Way, Elinor Wonders Why and Cyberchase — PBS KIDS has revealed the episode titles for a spate of brand-new Nature Cat episodes. As part of the nature appreciation programming event, Nature Cat, Hal, Squeeks and Daisy will embark on a week of exciting outdoor adventures, helping all sorts of friends along the way!
The gang will discover the sounds of the woods to find the soundtrack for a Nature Dance Party, track a scent on the wind to find a spot that holds a special memory, look for answers as to why leaves fall, and embark on a wild river ride filled with rapids, floods and dams. Tally ho!
- “Nature Dance Party/Bad Dog Bart Junior” – Premieres May 9 (Repeat May 13)
- “Rock Clues/Sweet Scent” – Premieres May 10
- “Leaf Fairy/Midge Over Troubled Waters” – Premieres May 11
- “Nature Nap Dilemma/Wild Rivers” – Premieres May 12
Federation Kids & Family and China’s UYoung Media announced deals with Discovery Kids in Latin America and U.K.’s POP for the kids’ animated action-comedy series, Kung Fu Wa! UYoung finalized the LatAm deal, and Federation, which handles worldwide distribution outside of China and LatAm, brokered a deal with Narrative Entertainment for POP. Kung Fu Wa! (52 x 11’, kids 6-9), co-produced by Chinese internet conglomerate Tencent Video and leading Chinese kids’ entertainment company UYoung, is a fun, endearing which combines the pizzazz of girl power, kung fu, comedy, action and more.
The series follows the adventures of a curious eight-year-old girl named Tee Zee who always dreamed of going on adventures and exploring wonderful places, and then one day she finds an odd-looking sock in her mother’s laundry that… talks… and was originally a Kung Fu Master from another world charged with guarding an ancient scroll. When the Master came through a vortex into Tee Zee’s time, his powers were weakened, and he was transformed into a sock. However, when the little girl puts the sock on her foot she transforms into a super heroine! Together, they must complete Kung Fu Wa’s mission and follow the ancient scroll to defeat evil and protect their world.
Crunchyroll is delivering a treat for fans in Italy with the premiere of the very first Italian dubs this Spring, complementing Crunchyroll’s biggest anime season on record. Earlier this month, Crunchyroll announced the full slate of dubbed anime heading to the platform with 25 series streaming for fans in a mix of English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German and Russian.
Anime series receiving Italian dubs this season include:
- The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 1: This beloved dark fantasy isekai follows Naofumi Iwatani in his journey to become the shield hero. Italian fans will be delighted to catch up on season 1 dubs, while catching the season 2 simulcast each week.
- My Dress-Up Darling: In this bright rom-com, two opposite worlds collide as one shy boy and a popular girl find a connection via cosplay!
- Ranking of Kings: In a series that has won awards and the hearts of global anime fans, Prince Bojji, who is unable to hear or speak, sets off on an adventure to prove that he’s a worthy heir…with the help of a shadow named Kage.
Viacom18 is celebrating the stellar performance of Nickelodeon in India, where the franchise enjoys a cumulative network share of 32% for kids’ TV. Nickelodeon today delivers the highest reach week to week (48 million kids) boasts of the largest home-grown content library thanks to the launch of 11 successful IPs in 11 years. The pioneering franchise continues to top the charts with two channels, with Nickelodeon at No. 1 and Nickelodeon’s SONIC at No. 2 for FY22. And there is more to come!
Nick will roll out new stories from fan-favorite toons with all new episodes of Rudra, Shiva, Motu Patlu and Chikoo aur Bunty, as well as many made for TV movie premieres. This will include Motu Patlu & the Secret of Devil’s Heart, premiering May 29, and the first ever crossover for two super cool characters in Shiva-Rudra vs. Pirates of Universe, which premiered Sunday and is available to stream on Voot Kids.
SONIC is set to bring back the fun and thrills with new episodes of Golmaal Jr, Pakdam Pakdai, Pinaki and Happy The Bhoot Bandhus. Further catering to the ever-growing content demands of its young viewers, the summer season will introduce a new adventure-filled ‘smurfiness’ with the much-loved international franchise: The Smurfs CGI series will entertain kids with comic capers starting this June.