CBS All Access, CBS’ digital subscription video on-demand and live-streaming service, today announced its animated variety news series Tooning Out the News will launch on Monday, March 16 in the U.S. and Canada, exclusively on CBS All Access.
Tooning Out the News will feature a cast of animated characters, led by anchor James Smartwood, mocking the news of the day and interviewing real-world guests, newsmakers and analysts in daily five- to seven-minute segments, followed by a weekly full episode available every Friday. The series is executive produced by Stephen Colbert and Chris Licht of CBS’ The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and RJ Fried and Tim Luecke from Showtime’s Our Cartoon President.
“After a successful negotiation between my forthright representation and a frankly insulting CBS business affairs department, I’m pleased to report that I am now the lead anchor and chief senior managing director of news and miscellaneous serious stuff at America’s #1 source for news and Star Trek: CBS All Access,” says animated anchor Smartwood. “Now that I’m on the air, I have a stark warning to every power player in Washington: I will suck up to you for access – that’s a promise. Lastly, for the record, my involuntary sabbatical last year was my choice. Check out Tooning Out the News every weekday. I don’t work weekends. Weekends are for chili and roughhousing.”
Confirmed guests for the launch season include Dan Abrams, Alan Dershowitz, Thomas Friedman, Nicholas Kristof, Rep. Barbara Lee, Olivia Nuzzi, Rep. Donna Shalala and Rep. Eric Swalwell.
Regular segments will include:
- “Big News” – America’s Most Trusted Source of Conventional Wisdom James Smartwood hosts this satire of ego-centric cable news anchors who only offer the most conventional takes.
- “Inside the Hill” – Where America Turns to Hear Rich People Agree with Each Other Co-hosts Richard Ballard and Sarah Sabo discuss the latest political headlines with Washington’s elite.
- “Hot Take” – The Biggest, Baddest, Bad Faith Arguments on Television A politically diverse and wildly ill-informed panel weighs in on the news of the day.
- “Virtue Signal” – There’s No Cause This White Lady Can’t Make About Herself Kylie Weaver hosts this satire of liberal cable news anchors who pat themselves on the back for taking up every social and political cause.
- “Smart Talk Tonight” – Important discussions, discussed importantly. Come on in, the water’s smart. Kenneth Parsons and Chloe Kline conduct in-depth, in studio, one-on-one interviews with real-life newsmakers.
Tooning Out the News joins CBS All Access’ growing slate of original series, which currently includes The Good Fight, No Activity, Tell Me A Story, The Twilight Zone, Why Women Kill, Interrogation and the forthcoming The Stand, The Untitled Richard Linklater Project, adult animated comedy The Harper House and The Man Who Fell to Earth, with additional series soon to be announced. CBS All Access is also the exclusive domestic home to Star Trek: Discovery, adult animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks and Star Trek: Picard, featuring Sir Patrick Stewart reprising his iconic role as Jean-Luc Picard.