The days in the Northen Hemisphere are getting hotter, but families everywhere can beat the heat, reconnect and stay entertained thanks to a sizzling slate of new series and movies heading to Netflix. Through a blog post today, the streamer unveiled further details and first-looks at highly anticipated toon projects.
First up, Netflix unvieled first-look images for the hybrid event series Lost Ollie, which arrives August 24. Created, written and executive produced by Shannon Tindle (Kubo and the Two Strings), the show is an epic adventure about a lost toy who braves the many dangers of childhood as he searches the countryside to reunite with the boy who lost him; and the story of the boy who lost more than a best friend. It’s a heartwarming tale for the child in us all, remembering those special souls that we’ve lost but who forever changed our lives.
Inspired by the book Ollie’s Odyssey from celebrated author-illustrator William Joyce, Lost Ollie is directed and exec produced by Oscar winner Peter Ramsey (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse), and stars Jonathan Groff, Mary J. Blige, Tim Blake Nelson, Gina Rodriguez, Jake Johnson and Kesler Talbot. Shawn Levy and Josh Barry executive produce for 21 Laps Entertainment along with Emily Morris as co-executive producer. Brandon Oldenburg and Lampton Enochs also executive produce.
Also coming out of its half-shell is Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie, which debuted colorful, comicky 2D images sure to bring fans straight back to the sewer. The superhero comedy feature produced by Nickelodeon Movies and Nickelodeon Animation Studios is set to premiere August 5, with Leo, Raph, Donnie and Mikey facing off against the terrifying Krang in defence of planet Earth!
The movie is directed by series developers Ant Ward and Andy Suriano, and stars the voices of Ben Schwartz, Omar Benson Miller, Brandon Mychal Smith, Josh Brener, Kat Graham, Eric Bauza and Haley Joel Osment.
And fans of the Fleischer-esque fun of The Cuphead Show! will be excited to hear that new episodes arrive August 19! Check the teaser if you missed it earlier this month:
Netflix Family Summer 2022 Slate animation highlights:
- May 19: The Boss Baby: Back in the Crib (series)
- May 26: My Little Pony: Make Your Mark (series)
- June 6: Action Pack Season 2 [trailer]
- June 30: Sharkdog Season 2 [trailer]
- July 7: Karma’s World Season 3 [trailer]
- July 8: The Sea Beast (movie)
- July 14: Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight (series)
- July 21: Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous Season 5 [trailer]
- July 25: Gabby’s Dollhouse Season 5 [trailer]
- August 5: Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie (movie)
- August 19: The Cuphead Show! New Episodes
- August 24: Lost Ollie (series)
Plus, families can experience their favorite characters and stories in real life by visiting the Netflix Family Summer activity truck, featuring character meet and greets, exclusive giveaways and photo opportunities. For the latest information on locations, times and more, visit and bookmark Tudum. Activity Truck U.S. Tour Schedule:
- July 9 – Los Angeles, California
- July 10 – San Diego, California
- July 12 – Long Beach, California
- July 16 – Chicago, Illinois
- July 19 – Minneapolis, Minnesota
- July 23 and 24 – Boston, Massachusetts
- July 31 and August 1– Atlanta, Georgia
- August 14 – Houston, Texas
- August 28 – Miami, Florida
To keep the fun going at home, download the activity guide here and check out the “Summer Break” content collection for even more summertime viewing suggestions. To get the latest on Netflix Family Summer, follow on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest (#NetflixFamilySummer).