VIZ Media is starting the next stage in the development of its VIZ Originals imprint, inviting artists and writers to apply for portfolio reviews taking place at some of North America’s biggest pop culture conventions. The VIZ Originals imprint will develop innovative, English-language, creator-owned graphic novel content for a global market, and is committed to supporting independent artists and helping them execute their creative visions.
VIZ Originals portfolio review sessions will be led by Executive Editor, Fawn Lau, and will occur during the following 2019 shows:
Toronto Comics and Arts Festival – May 11-12
Anime Central – May 17-19
Anime Expo – July 4-7
Comic-Con – July 17-21
New York Comic Con – October 3-6
Anime NYC – November 15-17
Individuals must be at least 18 years old and already a registered/ticketed attendee. A VIZ Originals portfolio review appointment does not include show admittance. To be considered, please complete the online form at viz.com/originals.
VIZ Originals portfolio recommendations:
- Samples of sequential works that best highlight your art style and storytelling
- Best works that showcase composition, character expressions, and scene details
- Include finished pieces, not only sketch or concept work
- Include original character art pieces – some fan work is acceptable
- Samples of sequential works that highlight writing and story development
- Samples and lists of creative writing work – prose and fan work is acceptable
VIZ Originals looks to collaborate with talented independent artists, creators and writers to develop original stories that ignite the imagination. Its titles will showcase dynamic paneling, skillful black and white artwork and compelling, diverse stories for both young adult and adult readers.
For more information, visit viz.com/originals.