In a time when many of us are asking, “What is my purpose?”, Warner Bros. Consumer Products announced during the annual Adult Swim Festival this weekend that the network has partnered with Digital Dream Labs to produce a limited edition Butter Robot, inspired by the Emmy Award-winning animated series and global phenomenon, Rick and Morty.
“Our partnership with Digital Dream Labs gave us the opportunity to deliver the creative storytelling of Rick and Morty in an incredibly unexpected way that we believe will not only resonate with fans, but ultimately deepen their engagement with the property,” said Robert Oberschelp, Senior Vice President, Global Brand Product, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “The Butter Robot is not only innovative, but a really fun way to pass the butter.”
A fan favorite character from season one, the Butter Robot is now available for pre-order for the holidays. Straight from the Citadel of Ricks, the Butter Robot is a nearly-sentient robot that was created for the sole purpose of passing butter. With its lifelike movement and trademark voice, the Butter Robot is sure to deliver hours of fun, all while its complex “emotion engine” creates unique interactions as it struggles with a need for purpose.
“The partnership with Adult Swim has been one of the coolest we’ve ever done at Digital Dream Labs. We’re all huge fans of Rick and Morty and collaborating with the show creators has been great. We’re all very eager for fans of the show to meet the Butter Robot,” said Dr. Jacob Hanchar, co-founder & CEO of Digital Dream Labs.
Audio/visual sensors and lifelike mechanical movements give the Butter Robot the ability to relay its unique, human-like personality while performing complex commands:
- Sentience – A complex “emotion engine” allows the Butter Robot to react to influences from its environment and adapt to become more “self-aware” over time while choosing to “rebel” against commands and exhibit independence.
- Selectable Control Modes – Using the complimentary mobile app, fans can select from three control modes (Direct Control, Coding, Passing) to relay a variety of commands to their robot companion.
- Passing Mode – The Butter Robot will listen for and respond to the phrase “Pass the Butter” and will react by passing its butter stick to the fan who spoke.
- Direct Control – This mode allows fans to experience life from the robot’s perspective; “driving” the Butter Robot and performing pre-programmed animations (dances, picking up the butter), all while watching from its integrated camera.
- Coding Mode – Fans can use block coding to relay a series of commands to the Butter Robot.
- Movement – In addition to passing the butter, Butter Robot has a combination of mechanical designs that allow it to move its head, torso and arms like a human.
- Voice – Identical to the voice used in Rick and Morty, fans will enjoy Butter Robot’s distinct voice as it interacts with its surroundings or parrots phrases relayed through the mobile app’s text-to-voice feature.
The limited edition run of the Butter Robot can be purchased at www.thebutterrobot.com for $147 USD during the pre-order window.