George A. Romero’s 1968 flesh-rending horror favorite is getting a toon up this year, as Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is planning to release the new adaptation Night of the Animated Dead this fall, on Digital, DVD and Blu-ray.
The nailbiter story about a group of strangers thrown together in a farmhouse under siege by hordes of flesh-eating, undead ghouls will voice star:
- Josh Duhamel (Batman: The Long Halloween, Jupiter’s Legacy) as Harry Cooper
- Dulé Hill (Muppet Babies, Psych) as Ben
- Katharine Isabelle (American Mary, Ginger Snaps) as Barbra
- James Roday Rodriguez (A Million Little Things, Psych) as Tom
- Katee Sackhoff (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Battlestar Galactica) as Judy
- Will Sasso (F Is for Family, MADtv) as Sheriff McClelland
- Jimmi Simpson (Ultra City Smiths, Westworld) as Johnny
- Nancy Travis (Last Man Standing, Duckman) as Helen Cooper.
Night of the Animated Dead will be directed by horror helmer Jason Axinn (To Your Last Death); the project is produced by Michael J Luisi, Ralph E. Portillo, Robert Feldman and Kevin Kasha. Executive producers are Richard Potter, Thomas DeFeo and Jamie Elliott.
They’re coming to get you, Barbra…
Romero (1940-2017) made his directorial debut with the low-budget indie Night of the Living Dead, which caused a grisly sensation in pre-MPAA ratings America. While critics were split, the film is widely recognized as a groundbreaking piece of horror movie history and spawned several sequels over the decades. Suzanne Romero, the director’s widow, is developing a new feature film which will wrap the Dead franchise, as announced via The Hollywood Reporter in April.
[Source: The Hollywood Reporter]