Classic animation The Little Mermaid is marking its 30th anniversary with a new Walt Disney Signature Collection release, featuring all-new bonus features and a sing-along mode. The two-time Oscar nominated film (Best Original Score and Best Original Song, “Under the Sea”) will make a splash for the first time on Digital HD, 4K Ultra HD and Movies Anywhere on February 12, and 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray disc on February 26.
Based on Hans Christian Andersen’s classic fairy tale about a beautiful mermaid princess who dreams of becoming human, The Little Mermaid was directed by John Musker and Ron Clements (Aladdin). It features the voice talents of Jodi Benson (Toy Story 2 & 3) as Ariel, Pat Carroll (Laverne & Shirley) as Ursula, Samuel E. Wright (Broadway’s The Lion King) as Sebastian, Christopher Daniel Barnes (The Brady Bunch Movie) as Eric, Kenneth Mars (Young Frankenstein) as Triton, Buddy Hackett (The Music Man) as Scuttle, Jason Marin (Back to the Future) as Flounder and René Auberjonois (The Patriot) as Chef Louis.
The film was originally released in theaters on Nov. 15, 1989 and is the 28th film from Walt Disney Animation Studios, and the first in what many described as a new Disney animation renaissance. It is the seventh title to join the Signature Collection.
New bonus features include…
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL
- Sing-Along Mode – Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song – From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel) as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all … The Little Mermaid. In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want from You…Is YOUR VOICE” – Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of The Little Mermaid in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos – Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. We take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- #TreasuresUntold – Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series Coop and Cami Ask the World as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s The Little Mermaid.
- DCapella “Part of Your World” Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features – revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including: Deleted Character: Harold the Merman; Under the Scene: The Art of Live Action Reference; Howard’s Lecture; Audio Commentary with Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
- “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective – Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features – Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!