Disney’s worldwide hit The Lion King, which has issued a roaring challenge to definitions of the line between animation and live action, is ready to transport home audiences to the Pride Lands when it arrives on Digital in HD & 4K Ultra HD and Movies Anywhere on October 11, followed by a 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD disc release Oct. 22.
The billion-dollar global box office ruler from director Jon Favreau will be released with all-new bonus features, music videos and an exclusive “Pride Lands Pedia” on Digital, in which dung beetle shares the importance of his “role” in the Savanna from a fun, bug’s eye view of the ecosystem. Consumers who pre-purchase The Lion King digitally will also gain access to “Perfecting the Pride,” highlighting the filmmakers’ research trip to Africa.
Synopsis: Simba (voiced by Donald Glover) idolizes his father, King Mufasa (reprised by James Earl Jones), and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar (Chiwetel Ejiofor), Mufasa’s brother — and former heir to the throne — has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his. The all-star cast also features Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon.
Blu-ray and Digital bonus features:
- The Journey to “The Lion King”
- The Music – Go inside the studio with the cast and crew as they work to honor and elevate The Lion King’s beloved music.
- The Magic – Discover how the filmmakers blended the traditional filmmaking techniques with virtual reality technology to create amazing movie magic.
- The Timeless Tale – Filmmakers and cast reflect on the story that has moved generations and share how this Lion King carries a proud legacy forward.
- More to Be Scene – Recording studio and layer-by-layer progressions of some of the most iconic moments in “The Lion King.”
- “Circle of Life” – Peel back the layers of effects and go behind the scenes of this iconic musical moment from the film
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – See all the effects, talent and fun that went into creating this vibrant version of “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” for the movie
- “Hakuna Matata” – Join Donald Glover (Simba), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon) in the studio for the making of this memorable scene.
- Music Videos
- “Never Too Late” (lyric video) by Elton John
- “Spirit” performed by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
- Filmmaker Introduction
- Audio Commentary – By Director Jon Favreau.
- Song Selection:
- “Circle of Life”
- “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”
- “Be Prepared”
- “Hakuna Matata”
- “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
- “Never Too Late”
- Protect the Pride – Director Jon Favreau, the Lion Recovery Fund and conservationists highlight efforts to protect the majestic lions and their home.