The first season of Paramount+ original animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks beams onto Blu-ray, DVD and limited edition steelbook on May 18 from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment.
As well as all 10 episodes from the debut season, Star Trek: Lower Decks: Season One is packed with hours of exclusive special features, including “Lower Decktionary,” a multi-part exploration of the series’ music, art design, animation process and more; exclusive interviews with the voice cast; deleted and extended scenes; and a fan-forward exploration of the series’ many Easter eggs.
From two-time Emmy Award winning creator Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty, Solar Opposites) and executive produced by Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard), Star Trek: Lower Decks is the first animated Star Trek series in almost 50 years. It focuses on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos, in 2380:
Ensigns Beckett Mariner (Tawny Newsome), Ensign Brad Boimler (Jack Quaid), Ensign Samanthan Rutherford (Eugene Cordero) and Ensign D’Vana Tendi (Noël Wells) have to keep up with their duties and their social lives, while the ship is being rocked by a multitude of sci-fi anomalies. The Starfleet characters that comprise the ship’s bridge crew include Captain Carol Freeman (Dawnn Lewis), Commander Jack Ransom (Jerry O’Connell), Lieutenant Shaxs (Fred Tatasciore) and Doctor T’Ana (Gillian Vigman).
Kurtzman (Secret Hideout), Heather Kadin (Secret Hideout), Rod Roddenberry (Roddenberry Ent.), Trevor Roth (Roddenberry Ent.) and Katie Krentz (219 Productions) serve as executive producers, alongside creator and showrunner McMahan. Aaron Baiers (Secret Hideout), who brought McMahan to the project, serves as a co-executive producer. Season 1 also features notable guest stars, including Paul Scheer (The League), Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Marina Sirtis (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Jack McBrayer (30 Rock), Kurtwood Smith (That ’70s Show), and more.
Blu-ray/DVD/SteelBook special features:
- Crisis Point: The Rise of Vindicta Trailer (Exclusive) – An exclusive, over-the-top action trailer based on the in-episode movie from “Crisis Point.”
- Faces of the Fleet – A deep dive into the crew of the U.S.S. Cerritos, alongside producers, writers and the cast. Highlighting character backstories and the behind-the-scenes development of their hilarious on-screen personalities, this exclusive featurette takes a look at Ensigns Beckett Mariner, Ensign Brad Boimler, Ensign Samanthan Rutherford, Ensign D’Vana Tendi and more.
- Hiding in Plain Sight (Exclusive) – An inside look at canon and hidden Easter eggs throughout the series, including freeze frame images and insightful commentary from producers, creatives and cast.
- Lower Decktionary:
- Joining Starfleet (Episode 101) (Exclusive) – Producers and crew discuss the development of season one from storyline to visual artistry.
- Aliens Among Us (Episode 102) (Exclusive) – Dives into the different aliens Ensigns Brad Boimler and Beckett Mariner encounter as they escort K’orin to the Tulgana 4 planet.
- The Animation Process (Episode 103) (Exclusive) – A look at the efficiency and creativity needed to put together an episode of Lower Decks in this other-worldly look at the animation process.
- The Main Titles (Episode 104) (Exclusive) – Immersed in the creation of the episode’s title sequence, the featurette explores the graphic design and thematic music developed for Lower Decks.
- Art Design (Episode 105) (Exclusive) – A look at characters’ style and the sets that elevate the animated on-screen adventures of the U.S.S. Cerritos.
- The Holodeck (Episode 106) (Exclusive) – Including interviews with cast and creatives, the featurette highlights what Holodeck experience they would like, how characters use it, and how it’s not only used for skills training, but sanity.
- Division 14 (Episode 107) (Exclusive) – Not everything goes right for Starfleet — catch up with Division 14, who is tasked with dealing with all the unexpected mishaps.
- Deck Dynamics (Episode 108) (Exclusive) – A dive into the upper and lower deck dynamics, and how their comedic interactions contribute to the storyline throughout season one.
- The Music of Lower Decks (Episode 109) (Exclusive) – Star Trek music is iconic. Explore how traditional themes have been integrated into Lower Decks and the episode’s in-story movie in this deep dive into the differences of scoring for animation versus live action, and comedy versus drama.
- All in the Family (Episode 110) – As the debut comes to a close, fans can take a look at the evolution of the crew and their relationships over the last year, and how Lower Decks fits into the Star Trek family as a few legacy characters appear.
- Full Length Animatic (Exclusive)
- Deleted and Extended Animatics (Exclusive)
Episode 101: “Second Contact”
Episode 102: “Envoys”
Episode 103: “Temporal Edict”
Episode 104: “Moist Vessel”
Episode 105: “Cupid’s Errant Arrow”
Episode 106: “Terminal Provocations”
Episode 107: “Much Ado About Boimler”
Episode 108: “Veritas”
Episode 109: “Crisis Point”
Episode 110: “No Small Parts”