Updates to the Walt Disney Studios’ release schedule have revealed plans for a 2014 sequel to Planes and two mystery Marvel movies.
Planes: Fire & Rescue, a sequel to the upcoming Planes spinoff of Pixar’s Cars, is now due for wide release July 18, 2014, in 3D. Produced by DisneyToons, Planes is set for an Aug. 9 release.
The studio set dates for two untitled Marvel films, one for May 6, 2016, and the other for May 5, 2017. Those dates lock in Marvel for a weekend that has seen good results for its comic book adaptations, including The Avengers, which is getting a sequel on May 1, 2015.
The studio also is planning a limited release on Dec. 13 and a wide release on Dec. 20 for Saving Mr. Banks, a dramatization of the long journey the Disney classic Mary Poppins took to get to the big screen. The film stars Tom Hanks as Walt Disney himself.
Other details include:
- Muppets Most Wanted, the sequel to the 2011 hit, has its title confirmed. Starring Tina Fey and Ricky Gervais, the movie is due out March 21.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, starring Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner, is due out Oct. 10, 2014.
- Tomorrowland, directed by Brad Bird, moves up one week to Dec. 12, 2014. Bird and Damon Lindelof are producing, with George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, Raffey Cassidy and Thomas Robinson leading the cast.
- Into the Woods, based on the Tony-winning musical, is now due out Christmas Day 2014.
- The Hundred-Foot Journey, from DreamWorks, is due out Aug. 8, 2014, with Lasse Hallstrom directing.