Universal/Illumination’s blockbuster sequel Despicable Me 2 is now the highest-grossing film of 2013 in the U.K. Universal Pictures International told The Hollywood Reporter that after seven weeks on release, Despicable Me 2 has grossed $66.78 million (£42.67 million). The No. 2 spot in the 2013 U.K. most popular films of 2013 is also a Universal title, Les Miserables, with $63.84 million cume.
Directed by Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin and produced by Illumination founder and CEO Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy, Despicable Me 2 is the highest-grossing animated film of the year worldwide, grossing $435.2 million internationally, and $781.2 million worldwide to date.
Meanwhile Universal has had a terrific year worldwide, bringing in $1.8 billion worldwide. 2013 has shaped up to be the studio’s best year to date, passing the previous record set in 2012 when the studio grossed $1.794 for the year.
Despicable Me 2 is also the fourth most popular animated movie of all time in the U.K. behind Toy Story 3 ($115.5 million), Shrek 2 ($75.3 million) and Toy Story 2 ($69.3 million).
Here’s a look at how other top animated movies are faring worldwide (as of August 19, 2013):
1. Despicable Me 2 (Universal) $781.2 million
2. Monsters University (Disney) $658.6 million
3. The Croods (Fox/DreamWorks) $583.2 million
4. Epic (Fox) $252.2 million
5. The Smurfs 2 (Sony) $206.9 million
6. Turbo (Fox/DreamWorks) $142 million
7. Escape from Planet Earth (Weinstein) $70.80 million
8. From Up on Poppy Hill (GKIDS) $61.0 million
9. Planes (Disney) $52.4 million