In a year that has delivered so many momentous headlines, it has been an interesting perspective from over here at Animation Magazine HQ (i.e., our various home offices, couches and bedrooms).
The COVID-19 pandemic created some upheaval and uncertainty in the global animation/VFX scene early in the year as studios quickly pivoted to work-from-home models. Then, the relative ease of adaptation for this biz, combined with filming halts and homebound audiences, spurred an absolute flood of demand for animated content on broadcast, VOD and streaming platforms. We even saw live-action series turning to animation to continue their stories.
While several of these new project announcements and updates inevitably turned up in our most-viewed stories of 2020 wrap-up, sadly, we also said goodbye to many brilliant creative contributors to our favorite artform this year. The passings of influential artists and voice actors are also memorialized on this list (as well as Animag‘s In Memoriam page here and in the February issue). With the great prevalence of animation and growing diversity of its content and distribution, we also saw human interest stories create a stir — for good or ill.
We look forward to 2021 with cautious optimism, curiosity and the intent to bring as much information to you, our readers, as we can. And now, in order of page visits…
Animation Magazine’s Top 10 Stories of 2020:
- ‘Pokemon’ Voice Actress Kumiko Okae Dies from COVID-19 (April 29)
- Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Popeye Movie Afloat with King Features (May 11)
- ‘Hazbin Hotel’ Creator Vivziepop Teams with Horseless Cowboy on Devilishly Twisted ‘Helluva Boss’ Series (October 7)
- A24 Checks in to Vivziepop’s Hellish ‘Hazbin Hotel’ (August 7)
- Positive Influence: YouTuber Jaiden Animations Gives Back (October 16)
- Animation Veteran Maureen Mlynarczyk Dies at Age 47 (April 28)
- Cartoon Network Movie ‘Ben 10 vs. The Universe’ Blasts Off This Fall (February 19)
- ‘My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising’ Hits Theaters February 26 (January 13)
- Annecy Offers an Insider’s Look at Netflix’s ‘The Cuphead Show’ (June 17)
- ‘DuckTales’ Gives Violet Gay Dads Hate Group Calls for Disney Boycott (April 19)