Awards season rolls on! Today, both the PGA and ACE award nominees were announced, perfectly mirroring the animated feature category picks for the Art Directors Guild and Motion Picture Sound Editors honors posted earlier this week.
The 33rd Annual Producers Guild Awards (producersguild.org) revealed the motion picture and television category nominees, joining special honorees Rita Moreno (Stanley Kramer Award), George Lucas & Kathleen Kennedy (Milestone Award). In addition to the animation nominees below, Jonas Poher Rasmussen’s Flee (Final Cut for Real/NEON) is up in the documentary category, announced in December. The PGA Awards will be held Saturday, March 19 at the Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles.
Award for Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures
- Encanto.(Disney) Producers: Yvett Merino, p.g.a., Clark Spencer, p.g.a.
- Luca.(Pixar/Disney) Producers: Andrea Warren, p.g.a.
- Mitchells vs. the Machines.(Sony Pictures Animation/Netflix) Producers: Phil Lord, p.g.a. & Christopher Miller, p.g.a., Kurt Albrecht, p.g.a.
- Raya and the Last Dragon.(Disney) Producers: Osnat Shurer, p.g.a., Peter Del Vecho, p.g.a.
- Sing 2.(Illumination/Universal) Producers: Chris Meledandri, p.g.a., Janet Healy, p.g.a.
Recognizing outstanding editing in film, TV and documentary, the American Cinema Editors (ACE; americancinemaeditors.org) announced nominees in 14 categories for the 72nd Annual ACE Eddie Awards. Perfectly on trend, the organization is in agreement both on the best animated features of the year, as well as on the genre-surpassing merit of documentary feature Flee. This year’s distinguished honorees so far include Lillian E. Benson and Richard Chew (Career Achievement Awards) and the Sundance Institute (Filmmaker of the Year Award). The ceremony will be held live at the Ace Hotel Theatre in Los Angeles on Saturday, March 5.
Best Edited Animated Feature Film
- Encanto. Jeremy Milton, ACE
- Luca. Catherine Apple, ACE, Jason Hudak
- The Mitchells vs. the Machines. Greg Levitan
- Raya and the Last Dragon. Fabienne Rawley, ACE, Shannon Stein
- Sing 2. Gregory Perler, ACE
Best Edited Animation (Non-Theatrical)
- Bob’s Burgers “Vampire Disco Death Dance”. (Fox) Jeremy Reuben
- Rick and Morty “Gotron Jerrysis Rickvangelion”. (Adult Swim) Lee Harting, ACE
- What If? “What If… Ultron Won?”. (Disney+) Graham Fisher, Joel Fisher