A group of production cels and the original key master pan production from a key moment in the classic animated special A Charlie Brown Christmas will be made available to collectors at Heritage Auctions’ Dec. 13-14 Animation Art Auction.
The special materials were used to make the sequence near the end of the show when Charlie Brown picks up his sad little Christmas Tree and heads outside, leaving the rehearsal for the holiday play he is directing and leading directly to the classic, dramatic finale. It is estimated to sell for at least $35,000.
Other items in the auction include a Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas production cel setup (MGM, 1966) featuring the Grinch as he sees all the Whos in Whoville holding hands, singing and celebrating Christmas even though they have no gifts. It is estimated to sell for at least $5,000.
Mickey’s Christmas Carol, a beloved holiday feature length cartoon released by Disney in 1983, makes a few appearances in the auction, most notably in the form of an Uncle Scrooge production cel on master background setup (Walt Disney, 1983/94). This hand-painted production cel of Scrooge McDuck as Ebenezer Scrooge is on a master hand-painted background of Ebenezer’s house and the street he lives on. It is estimated at $5,000.
Further highlights include, but are not limited to:
- Hanna-Barbera at King’s Island publicity cel and drawing (Hanna-Barbera, c. 1970s)
- Mickey Mouse Mickey’s Christmas Carol production cel and key master production background setup (Walt Disney, 1983)
- The Night Before Christmas Santa Claus production cel (Walt Disney, 1933)
- Mickey’s Christmas Carol Uncle Scrooge McDuck concept art (Walt Disney, 1983)
- Doctor Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas Grinch production cel setup (Chuck Jones, 1966)
- Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol Jacob Marley production cel (UPA, 1962)
- Peanuts A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Charlie and Lucy production cel setup with animation drawings (Bill Melendez, 1973)
- Pluto’s Christmas Tree Chip and Dale color model cels (Walt Disney, 1952)
- Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol Ghosts of Christmas Past and Present production cel setup (UPA, 1962)
For more information about Heritage Auctions, visit HA.com.