Sunao Katabuchi’s In This Corner of the World won the Jury Award for feature films at the 2017 Annecy International Animation Festival. The Audience Award for features was presented to Loving Vincent and the Cristal for a Feature to Lu Over the Wall.
At the awards ceremony held at the Bonlieu, Marcel Jean handed over the Honorary Cristal to Georges Schwizgebel to commemorate his prolific career.
“Georges Schwizgebel is an animation guru, an artisan of precision and an artist who has inspired many young animators,” says Marcel Jean, artistic director of the festival. “His style can be described as baroque and swirling, characterised by a confident brushstroke and a resolutely postmodern approach with his relationship to history and art.”
His film Erlking was screened as his son Louis Schwizgebel-Wang played the piano
The full list of awards winners:
- Audience Award: The talented Jean-Pierre Jeunet bestowed the Audience Award upon Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman for Loving Vincent. The film has been a great success since its world premiere June 13. Trademark Films, Breakthru Productions (Poland, United Kingdom)
- Jury Award: In This Corner of the World, by Sunao Katabuchi. MAPPA, Genco, Inc. (Japan)
- Cristal for a Feature Film: Lu Over the Wall, by Masaaki Yuasa. Science Saru Inc. (Japan)
- Audience Award: Grandpa Walrus, by Lucrèce Andreae. Caïmans Productions (France)
- Jury Distinction: The Ogre, by Laurène Braibant. Papy3D Productions (France)
- The Jean-Luc Xiberras Award for a First Film: The Blissful Accidental Death, by Sergiu Negulici. Abis Studio (Romania)
- Jury Award: Kötü Kiz (Wicked Girl), by Ayce Kartal. Les Valseurs (France, Turkey)
- Cristal for a Short Film: Min Börda (The Burden), by Niki Lindroth Von Bahr. Malade AB (Sweden)
- Jury Award: Moby “Are You Lost in the World Like Me?” by Steve Cutts. USA, United Kingdom.
- Cristal for a Commissioned Film: Material World, by Anna Ginsburg. Strange Beast (United Kingdom)
TV Series and Specials
- Special Distinction for a TV Series: BoJack Horseman “Fish Out Of Water,” by Mike Hollingsworth. Tornante Productions (USA)
- Jury Award for a TV Series: The Man-Woman Case “Wanted,” by Anaïs Caura. My Fantasy / 2 P2l, France Télévisions Nouvelles Écritures (France)
- Cristal for a TV Production: Revolting Rhymes Part One, by Jakob Schuh, Jan Lachauer, Bin-han To. Magic Light Pictures (United Kingdom)
- Jury Distinction: Pas à pas, by Charline Arnoux, Mylène Gapp, Léa Rubinstayn, Florian Heilig, Mélissa Roux. ESMA (France)
- Jury Award: Summer’s Puke is Winter’s Delight, by Sawako Kabuki. Tama Art University (Japan)
- Cristal for a Graduation Film: Sog, by Jonatan Schwenk. HFG (Germany)
Off-Limits Short Films
- “Off-Limits” Award: Dix puissance moins quarante-trois seconde. Francis, Miyu Productions (France)
The 2018 Annecy Festival is scheduled for June 11-16, 2018, and will pay tribute to Brazilian animation.