This morning, the nominations for this year’s Academy Awards were announced at 5:20 by Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Nick Jonas in 24 categories. Here is our list of this year’s animation and vfx-related nominees:
Best Animated Feature:
- Onward (Dan Scanlon) (Pixar/Disney)
- Over the Moon (Glen Keane) (Netflix, Pearl)
- A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (Will Becher, Richard Phelan) (Aardman, Netflix)
- Soul (Pete Docter, Kemp Powers) (Pixar/Disney)
- Wolfwalkers (Tomm Moore, Ross Stewart) (Cartoon Saloon, Apple, GKIDS)
Best Animated Short:
- Burrow (Madeline Sharafian, Michael Capbarat) (Pixar)
- Genius Loci (Adrien Merigeau, Amaury Ovise) (Kazak Production)
- If Anything Happens I Love You (Michael Govier, Will McCormack) (Netflix)
- Opera (Erick Oh) (Beast and Natives Alike)
- Yes-People (Gísli Darri Halldórsson, Arnar Gunnarsso) (CAOZ)
Best Visual Effects:
- Love and Monsters Matt Sloan, Genevieve Camilleri, Matt Everitt and Brian Cox
- The Midnight Sky Matthew Kasmir, Christopher Lawrence, Max Solomon and David Watkins
- Mulan Sean Faden, Anders Langlands, Seth Maury and Steve Ingram
- The One and Only Ivan Nick Davis, Greg Fisher, Ben Jones and Santiago Colomo Martinez
- Tenet Andrew Jackson, David Lee, Andrew Lockley and Scott Fisher
Soul was also nominated in the Best Score (Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste) and Best Sound (Coya Elliott, Ren Klyce, David Parker and Vince Caro) categories.
Most of this year’s previously announced awards and critics lists have so far been divided between Disney/Pixar’s Soul and Cartoon Saloon’s Wolfwalkers. Pixar has won this category ten times since the category was created in 2001. Nevertheless, all of Cartoon Saloon’s three previous movies (The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, The Breadwinner) have been nominated and Wolfwalkers has been hugely successful and critically acclaimed. Farmageddon took the spot occupied by The Croods: A New Age and The Willoughbys in some of the other award races.
Last year, Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story 4 took home the Oscar for Best Animated Feature and the prize for Best Animated Short went to Hair Love (Matthew Cherry and Karen Rupert Toliver). 1917 was the winner of the Best Visual Effects Oscar.
The 93rd Oscars will be held on Sunday, April 25 at 5 p.m. (PT) on ABC (from L.A.’s Union Station and Dolby Theater).
See oscars.org for additional category short lists and more information.