Dr. Ed Catmull, computer graphics pioneer, Pixar co-founder and former president of Pixar Animation and Walt Disney Animation Studios, will speak at Italy’s leading digital media event VIEW Conference. The 21st edition of the curated annual conference runs October 18 to 23 online and on-site in Torino, Italy.
“We are honored that Ed Catmull is participating in VIEW 2020,” says Conference Director Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez. “He exemplifies the goal of this conference – to bring together scientists and artists who share their knowledge and inspire a new generation of creatives. Dr. Catmull has done that his entire career, from guiding the group of artists and scientists at Pixar Animation Studios to extending that leadership on to Disney Animation. I couldn’t be more excited to welcome him to the VIEW family.”
Dr. Catmull joins a compelling lineup of artists, filmmakers and tech innovators which also includes:
- Tomm Moore, Director, Wolfwalkers, Cartoon Saloon
- Tony Bancroft, Director, Animal Crackers, Netflix
- Peter Ramsey, Co-Director, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Sony Pictures Animation (Academy Award winner)
- Kris Pearn, Writer/Director, The Willoughbys, Netflix
- Jorge Gutierrez, Writer/Director, The Book of Life
- Jeremy Clapin, Writer/Director, I Lost My Body
- Sharon Calahan, Director of Photography, Onward (Pixar)
- Roger Guyett, VFX Supervisor, Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker
- Hal Hickel, Animation Director, The Mandalorian, ILM (Academy Award winner)
- Celine Desrumaux, Production Designer, Over The Moon, Netflix
- Nate Fox, Director, The Ghost of Tsushima, Suckerpunch
- Paul Debevec, Senior Engineer, Google VR (Academy Award winner) (Keynote)
- Glenn Entis, Co-Founder PDI (Academy Award winner)
- Scott Ross, Founder, Digital Domain and Entrepreneur, Trip Hawkins, Founder EA/3DO and Executive Coach
- Stefen Fangmeier, VFX Supervisor and Director, Game of Thrones
- Alison Mann, VP Creative/Strategy, Sony Pictures Animation
- Don Greenberg, Jacob Gould Schurmann Professor of Computer Graphics, Cornell University (Keynote)
- Marino Guarnieri, Director, Cinderella the Cat
- Nikola Damjanov, Nordeus
- Dylan Sisson, Artist, RenderMan, Pixar
- Sebastien Hue, Concept Artist
- Kane Lee, Head of Story, Baobab Studios
- Angie Wojak, Director of Career Development, School of Visual Arts NYC
In 2019, Dr. Catmull received the “Nobel Prize of computing,” the $1 million Turing Award, which he shared with Dr. Pat Hanrahan. He’s the author of the book, Creativity, Inc., which was shortlisted for the Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award.
He has also received three Academy scientific and engineering and technical achievement awards, an Academy Award of Merit for significant advances to the field of motion picture rendering, and the Academy’s Gordon E. Sawyer Award for lifetime achievement in the field of computer graphics. He is a Computer History Museum and Visual Effects Society Fellow. Dr. Catmull has further been honored with the IEEE John von Neumann Medal, the VES Georges Méliès Award, the Annie Awards Ub Iwerks Award for Technical Achievement, PGA’s Vanguard Award and induction into the VES Hall of Fame.
Under Dr. Catmull’s leadership, Pixar’s feature and short animated films received 16 Oscars and Disney Animation’s animated features and shorts won five.
The international VIEW Conference, Italy’s premiere event for Computer Graphics, Interactive and Immersive Storytelling, Animation, Visual Effects, Games, and VR, AR, and Mixed Reality, brings top professionals from those fields to the beautiful baroque city of Torino, Italy for a week of talks, presentations and workshops.Registration is now open.
“Because VIEW Conference will be online as well as onsite this year, we are taking advantage of the wonderful opportunity to include remarkable professionals from all over the globe,” Gutierrez added. “VIEW 2020 will be amazing.”