As part of the fun and festivities planned throughout 2018 to mark Mickey Mouse’s 90th anniversary, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club is bringing the celebration tot he pages of the fall issue of its magazine Disney twenty-three.
Highlights of this special publication include a tribute to Micky’s enduring optimism and youthful spirit penned by film historian Leonard Maltin, and fond recollections of favorite Mouse moments recalled by celebrities including Kurt Russell, Mark Hamill, Whoopi Goldberg, Alan Menken and Hayley Mills. The cover features a new birthday portrait of Mickey titled Spreading Magic Around the World, painted by legendary Disney animator Mark Henn — and within, Walt Disney Archives director Becky Cline will explore the long tradition of Mickey portraits.
The Steamboat Willie star will also share a little spotlight with his leading lady, as actress and fashion designer Ashley Eckstein pays tribute to Minnie Mouse — also celebrating 90 years, by the way. Eckstein will reflect on Minnie’s enduring place as a role model and fashion icon.
Additional features of the fall issue of Disney twenty-three:
- The making of Disney Channel Original Movie Freaky Friday and interviews with stars Heidi Blickenstaff and Cozi Zuehlsdorff.
- Fanniversary kicks off honoring 25th anniversary films Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas — with “Character Analysis” on the frightful denizens of Halloween Town and a first look at the Nightmare-themed gingerbread house for this year’s Haunted Mansion Holiday attraction at Disneyland — and Hocus Pocus, with director Kenny Ortega reliving the on-set excitement of working with Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Jessica Parker.
- Animation history Fox Carney dives into the vaults of the Animation Research Library to show off paintings and drawings from Mickey’s history.
- From the Desk of: Mickey’s latest portraitist, Mark Henn.
- A preview of The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.
- Advance look at Disney Channel series Star Wars Resistance
Disney twenty-three is offered exclusively to D23 Gold and Gold Family Members as a benefit of membership. The latest issue will be shipped this month.