Despite best laid plans for a return to Bordeaux for this year’s confab, organizers of the 2021 Cartoon Movie animated feature pitching event have officially switched tracks for an all-digital version. Cartoon Movie Online will be held March 9-11.
“A year ago, the news had just spread: we were discovering a virus named COVID-19, today it has become a day-to-day reality. 2021 is a new year, vaccination has started, and the hope for a return to a semi-normal life is now more real than ever,” CARTOON general director Annick Maes wrote in the announcement.
“We would have loved to be able to announce with drum rolls that we were finally going to be able to meet each other ‘in real life’: pitching, discussing, laughing, drinking and eating all together. Unfortunately, the possibility to gather again in real-life will take a few more months. Cartoon Movie – held in March – still arrives a bit too soon: the time of reunion is not there yet.”
Due to the change in plans, producers of selected projects are being asked to record their pitches as video presentations, either in English or with English subtitles. The CARTOON team have built on the experience gained in the 2020 edition to prepare a new digital platform with expanded communication features, as well as a new mobile app which should be available March 1.
Digital platform features:
- As with Cartoon Forum, recorded pitches will be put online as the program of the event progresses. Attendees can watch at their convenience through March 31.
- An “Extra Time Corner” with the producers will open for 30 mintues right after each pitch as a dedicated virtual meeting room, accessible via a link under the video.
- Attendees are asked to fill in the feedback form after each viewing. Available under or at the end of each video, these forms provide valuable remarks and advice to producers.
- Engage with the Cartoon Movie 2021 Community by sending private chat messages directly to participants.
- The platform also offers a news feed where the various activities and announcements will be highlighted.
Cartoon – Pitching Events mobile app features:
- See all project information projects.
- Create a personalized agenda.
- View the project trailers, usually presented during the Croissant show.
- A “Request Meeting” button allows you to contact the producer of a project directly by email.
- Project feedback form (as in the digital platform). This also allows viewers to request the script and presentation of a project via email.
- Plan and prepare for Cartoon Movie a week in advance!
Cartoon Movie registrants will receive a link to the e-catalogue with participants directory on March 1. A full agenda will be available on the website as a downloadable PDF, as well as on the digital platform and app.