CARTOON has announced the line-up for the next edition of Cartoon Forum, taking place September 19-22 in Toulouse, France. The 2022 selection comprises 84 new projects in TV series, miniseries and specials from independent studios across 19 countries.
Cartoon Forum’s statistics remain similar to the previous years. Shortlisted from 137 submissions, the selected projects have a total budget of €379.3 million (~$400M USD) with an average cost per project of €4.5M (~$4.7M USD), though the cost per minute of animation production has slightly increased compared to 2021 (€12,879 per minute vs. €11,887 in 2021 – it’s coming back to the level reached before the pandemic: €12,250).
- 27 countries in total; 19 main producers plus Canada, Chile, Japan, Peru, Portugal, U.K., Uruguay and U.S. as co-producers.
- 35 projects (42%) are co-productions, among them 20 projects (24%) involve two or more countries.
- Germany, Belgium and France are the most active co-producers in Europe.
Project Themes Behind the Scenes
A few familiar names are attached to selected projects: Phil Molloy (creative executive, Bob the Builder) is working as scriptwriter on Max, produced by Submarine (Netherlands) – Marie Beardmore (writer, Angry Birds Toons, Sonic Boom) is now the author and producer of Mervyn’s Album produced by Kick the Door Productions (Spain) – Reza Memari (writer, Richard the Stork) has written the script for The Last Whale Singer Series, produced by Telescope Animation (Germany).
Well-known production companies are presenting their latest TV series, including:
- Cartoon Saloon (Ireland)— Natu Natu
- Cyber Group Studios (France) — The Tern
- Daily Madness Productions (Ireland) — Mildew
- Folivari (France) — Nino Dino
- Laïdak Films (France) — Round and Round the Wishing Well (a sequel for Mum Is Pouring Rain)
- Letko (Poland) — Happy Not Lucky
- TeamTO (France) — Next Level: Odyssey
- Wiggleywoo (Ireland) — Doopydoo
- Wolkenlenker (Germany) — Tiger and Bear
- Xilam Animation (France) — Phil & Sophia
Three projects previously pitched at Cartoon Springboard made it to Cartoon Forum: My Superhero Husband produced by Addart Production (a.k.a. Funny Tales) (Greece), Best Friends Forever… Stranded! by Peekaboo Animation (Spain) and Doom Mates by Twentytwo Film (Germany).
Supported by the Region Occitanie, Xbo films (France) will present their new TV special project: Marcel, Father Christmas (and the Little Pizza Delivery Boy).
Registration for Cartoon Forum 2022 is now open. Sign up before June 30 to be included in the show’s guidebook.