Animation Nights New York will present its third consecutive annual ANNY Best of Fest next month, with two days of animation screening, a fine art installation, XR showcase, VR workshop presentations, professional panels and industry meets on Saturday & Sunday, Oct. 6-7 from noon to 10 p.m. The conference will be held at 180 Maiden Lane in NYC’s Seaport District.
Highlights for this year’s program include a special screening of Goose in High Heels presented by director John Dilworth, the Oscar predictive Animation Showcase curated and co-presented by Benoit Berthe Siward, and a collection of VR and AR experiences. Also featured will be the 2018 ANNY Cannes Program, as well as the 2018 ANNY Best of Fest Showcase featuring ANNY Best of Fest Winners selected from Animation Nights New York’s curated monthly screenings of in-competition films.
This year’s prestigious panel of jurors includes: Paul Young (Cartoon Saloon), Jimbo Matison (Independent Animation Director), Joanna Quinn (Beryl Studios), Kasja Naess (Mikrofilm) and Ralph Eggleston (Pixar), Maija Burnett (CalArts), Jonathan Marlow (Arbelos, CFI Releasing) and Elizabeth Ito (independent animator). The 2018 ANNY Best of Fest Grand Prize Winner, as well as the first ever 2018 ANNY Best of Fest VR Prize, will be announced at the festival. Jay Francis (Disney Television Animation) is selecting the Grand Prize Winner while D.J. Smith (The Glimpse Group), is selecting the VR Grand Prize Winner. Chris Perkins is selecting the Animation for Adults Award Winner.
2018 ANNY Best of Fest competition:
- Catherine. Britt Raes. Belgium, 11:51.
- DEAD RECKONING. Paul Wenninger, Susan Young. Austria, 02:47.
- Elsewhere. Junyi Xiao. United States, 06:11.
- Frankfurter Str 99a. Evgenia Gostrer. Germany, 03:00.
- Ghostory. Alžběta Göbelová. Czech Republic, 09:44.
- HYBRIDS. Florian Brauch, Matthieu Pujol, Kim Tailhades, Yohan Thireau, Romain Thirion. France, 06:22.
- If You Fall. Tisha Deb Pillai. Canada, 06:04.
- Invisible. Paola Tejera Manchón. Spain, 06:25.
- La Caverna. Hello Savants. Netherlands, 02:02.
- Li.Le. Natia Nikolashvili. Georgia, 09:38.
- Negative Space. Ru Kuwahata, Max Porter. France, 05:30.
- Noon. Tzu Hsin Yang. Taiwan, 03:50.
- Oh Willy. Emma de Swaef, Marc James Roels. Belgium, 16:42.
- Private Parts. Anna Ginsburg. UK, 03:35.
- SPOON. Yikun Wang. Japan, 03:57.
- The Ape Man. Pieter Vandenabeele. Belgium, 11:30.
- The Bigger Picture. Daisy Jacobs. UK, 07:25.
- Three Fitted Flies. María Álvarez, Elisa Morais. Spain, 07:47.
- TIS. Chloë Lesueur. France, 09:00.
- Tough. Jennifer Zheng. UK, 04:49.
The Anderson Contemporary will be curating Art in Motion III featuring a fine art installation celebrating animation.
The VR Showcase features works from: Within, GO! Pictures KG, Looking Glass Factory, NFB, Polyarc, Stanford University Virtual Human Interaction Lab, Tvori, AnimVR, David Lobster, Baobab Studios and more.
Industry events include: VR Workshop Presentations by Micah Milner, Michael Markman, Gordey Chernyy, Maria Mishurenko, Jeremy Casper, Harold Dumur, Thomas Cheng, and Christopher Valore. There will also be several Networking Musical Chairs Events and Industry Roundtables via ANNY Exchange.
Panel Discussions and Presentations include a presentation by Bill Plympton, panels on Animation & Documentary, Paving the Way for Animation in VR, Changing Trends in Distribution, Titmouse’s Ballmastrz, Puppetry & Animation in Traditional and Emerging Platforms, Animation Pipeline for Film, Games & VR (IGDA NY), Tomorrow’s Marketing for XR, The Importance of Story, Blockchain, Asset Management & Virtual Worlds, Procedural Animation, Motion Capture, Keyframes, & Creativity, a panel by Justin Hendrix of NYC Media Lab, as well as animation business discussions on the subjects of Contracts for Artists and Budgeting, Pitching & Negotiating with Clients.
ANNY Best of Fest is free to the public, however, industry badges are available for purchase and allow exclusive access to all of ANNY’s Best of Fest events, including pre-registration for the Emerging Technology Animation Showcase, VR Workshop Presentations, and access to all Industry Events. Both the Enthusiast Package (free) and Industry Package ($30) are available for purchase online. Donations will also be accepted to support the continued efforts of ANNY to promote independent animation.