On Thursday, June 24, The Animation Guild will host the 2nd annual How to Get Your Start in Animation event, an online panel Q&A of industry leaders to help recent graduates get started in the field of animation. Insiders will share interviewing and hiring insights, review best practices for portfolios and reels, and answer other questions graduates might have. The virtual session will be held from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. PST (register here).
- Juston Gordon-Montgomery, Director, DC Super Hero Girls (Warner Bros.)
- Michael Kaschalk, Head of Effects, Raya and the Last Dragon (Walt Disney)
- Ashley Long, Supervising Director, Paradise PD
- Jennifer Yuh Nelson, Director, Love Death + Robots (Netflix), Kung Fu Panda 2 and 3 (DreamWorks)
- Patrick Rieger, Writer, DC Super Hero Girls (Warner Bros.), Unikitty! (Warner Bros.)
- Candice Stephenson, CG Lead, upcoming Adventures in Wonder Park (Paramount/Nickelodeon)
- Rebecca Sugar, Creator, Steven Universe (Cartoon Network)
Following the success of last year’s event, The Animation Guild hopes to help recent graduates who have been affected by the coronavirus. Not only did it rob many of the traditions that mark the completion of a degree, but it has made the transition into the workforce more challenging. Many of the resources available to them in the past — portfolio reviews, student galleries, recruiting events — have yet to return. This Q&A will provide much-needed insights as graduates prepare to start their careers in the field of animation.
Additional topics include social media presence, the difference between union and non-union studios, mentorship, technology, working remotely and how to navigate the limitations created by the pandemic. The event will be moderated by Animation Guild Executive Board member Emily Walus.
Event sponsor Toon Boom will donate three software licenses for a raffle for anyone attending the event.
Because webinar space is limited, the event will also be available to watch on Facebook Livestream here.