The esteemed Annecy International Animation Film Festival has finished off its Official Selection announcements with the list of animated experiences visitors can encounter in the VR Works competition. The selection committee, composed of Gala Frecon and Yves Nougarède, have chosen seven stand-out pieces for the category this year.
“This year, we invite you to discover seven immersive works among the 91 submitted from 26 different countries. Six nationalities are represented in this selection,” Frecon and Nougarède commented.
“The program will showcase experimental virtual reality with these ambitious, empirical and musical works, which will share the lineup with films addressing crucial and challenging issues. These topics will involve struggles, abortion rights and the pursuit of idealism. You will embark on a journey at the nexus of the virtual and imaginary, while witnessing the impact of these works on the real world.”
The VR Works will be available to explore from June 12 to 16, in the Salle de Création in Bonlieu. Admission is free but a reservation is required.
VR Works Official Selection
- Black Hole Museum + Body Browser | Directed by Wen-Chi Su | Taiwan
- Conceived by new media artist and choreographer Su Wen-Chi, this film is an experimental VR project on how to imagine and perceive the abstract gravity in astronomy with dance, sound and light.
- From the Main Square | Directed by Pedro Harres | Germany
- A compact illustration of social disruption. A civilization blossoms, with all its contradictions, only to become a danger to itself.
- I Took a Lethal Dose of Herbs | Directed by Yvette Granata | U.S.A.
- A VR film about postpartum psychosis and DIY abortion told through the hallucinatory experience of a former anti-abortion activist. Based on a true story from an anonymous woman posting on Reddit.
- Immortelle | Directed by Line Katcho | Canada
- A cathartic and dynamic 6DOF trip into the mind of an artist in turmoil. In this immersive artwork with light interaction, viewers travel through different scenes and seasons that show both the soft and fiery sides of a fighter spirit.
- Red Tail | Directed by Fish Wang | Taiwan
- A boy is chasing a mysterious red tail through magical places, uncovering secrets that remind him of his own memories and sadness. What lies ahead on his journey and where will it take him?
- Shadow | Directed by David Adler & Ole Bornedal | Denmark, Unite Kingdom
- You are the second wave of British bombers headed to Copenhagen to bomb the Gestapo’s headquarters. But as you approach the city, you realize something isn’t right.
- Sol-Air | Directed by Mihai Grecu | France
- Aaron, a military drone pilot, recalls an air mission to monitor an oil field. During a flight, his drone encounters a magnificent eagle guided by its breeder Azad, who lives in the desert.
You can find the full Annecy Festival competition program as well as special screening events, MIFA highlights and more at annecyfestival.com.