The trees are changing color and our inboxes are filling up with fall market announcements — so the Cannes content meet-ups at MIP Junior and MIPCOM must be right around the corner! Here’s another fresh collection of news bytes from top studios heading into the October 17-20 gathering.
Mondo TV Embraces One Love
Mondo TV, back in its pre-COVID stand location at P-1.N1, will include MeteoHeroes (52 x 13′ + 2 x 26′), Annie & Carola (52 x 11′; Kids 6-10), Agent 203 (26 x 22′; Girls 6-10), Monster Loving Maniacs (52 x 11′; Kids 6-10), The Wee Littles (46 x 5′; Pre-k), Grisù (52 x 12′) and, for the first time, One Love — a 26 x 7’ 2D series co-produced with T-Rex Digimation Srl, based on the popular One Love Musical Shorts (10 x 3’) commissioned by Rai Kids (Italy) for its preschool channel Rai YoYo. The series, which highlights emotional literacy, sustainability and colors, is expected to be completed by spring 2023.
The show is set on One Love — the planet with a beating heart — where best friends Amo and Ama, together with the rest of the Baby-Hugs, jump from one adventure to the next by using the strongest power they have: love! Yet even in this wonderful world, Amo and Ama’s friends occasionally face the small emotional trials all pre-school kids have to deal with — and Amo and Ama will help their friends to deal with those trials.
The Furry Friends of FuturumKids
FuturumKids will make its exhibitor debut in the Palais this year, set up in the European Media booth, highlighting three kids’ titles at the show: Paddles, already broadcasting in a number of territories; Ling-Ling (52 x 11′), now in pre-production; and Charlie’s Ark (52 x 11′), which is now starting production.
The newest FuturumKids title, Charlie’s Ark will be strongly promoted to potential broadcast partners at this key international co-production and content market. It tells the story of Charlie, a five-year-old boy, and the ark-shaped toybox in which he keeps his toy animals with their ark-inspired rainbow top-knots, manes and tails. But these are not just toys; they all come to life — and together Charlie and the toys have many magical adventures.
Trilogy Shops an Animated Quintet
Trilogy Animation Group (TAG), which acquired the complete portfolio of PorchLight Entertainment IP, is showcasing five kids’ series at MIP Junior for the first time — including updates to Emmy-nominated preschool series Jay Jay the Jet Plane and Emmy-winning kids’ toon Tutenstein. The series, now in development, are:
- The New Adventures of Jay Jay The Jet Plane – A comedy adventure series for preschoolers, the newly-updated CG show features STEM education and social-emotional learning packed in each 11-min episode. The series follows some of the original show’s favorites, including the playful, energetic jet plane, Jay Jay, and his pals Tracy, Snuffy, and Ricky Rescue, as they take off from Tarrytown Airport on exciting adventures. The New Adventures of Jay Jay The Jet Plane features a fresh and vibrant new look and introduces more characters and fun destinations.
- Tutenstein – An adventure series for kids ages 8-12 (22 min. episodes), shows what happens when a 12-year-old girl and 4,000-year-old-mummy boy become best friends – and her cat gains the power of speech! In addition to the adventure, mystery, magic and fun, Tutenstein is all about family lost, family found, family forever.
- Doots – Lots of kids doodle when they’re bored, but 10-year-old Orion’s doodles actually come to life. The comedy series (11 min. stories) for 6- to 9-year olds follows Orion and his wacky, furry, funny and totally out of control doodles, or “doots” for short! They sweep into Orion’s life and whisk him into fantastical worlds filled with magical creatures and epic quests. As the series unfolds, the Doots and Orion share fun, laughter, and unpredictable adventures while learning valuable life lessons along the way.
- Earth to Eden – A slice-of-life show for preschoolers ages 4-6 featuring 7-year-old Eden Brooks, a girl with an inner spark that makes her special and who turns every day into a grand adventure with her #GirlDad, family and friends. The series explores themes of family, love of nature, building friendship, and personal pride, all culminating in one universal truth: living well is a lifelong adventure and it’s best to enjoy the ride.
- Rubbernecks – An animated 3D stop-motion series for kids and families set in the town of Desperation, where the town residents are a quirky, mixed bag that includes a snake, tortoise, roadrunner, and a few lizards. They all prove the well-known hypothesis that overexposure to intense heat can drive you nutty. The series features art by Deane Taylor, award-winning art director from the Oscar-nominated feature, Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas.
Toonz Media’s Rosie Outlook
Toonz Entertainment, the content distribution division of Toonz Media Group, has closed multiple strategic partnerships ahead of the big market, including for two animated pre-k titles:
- Exclusive distribution rights for Everything’s Rosie from U.K.-based V&S Entertainment Ltd. The program includes 104 x 11′ episodes each for LatAm, Iberia, U.S. and Canada. Toonz will now have distribution rights for TV, Video-On-Demand, Internet and all Videogram rights.
- Exclusive worldwide distribution rights for Bubble Bath Bay from Australia-based Pop Family Entertainment Pty. Ltd. (excluding Australia, New Zealand & Japan). The brand-new 3D animated 52 x 11′ preschool series follows best friends Sydney the Sailboat and Zip the Water Taxi as they learn to ride the waves alongside their fleet of friends in bustling Bubble Bath Bay. By this agreement, Toonz will get exclusive rights to distribute the program through TV, Video-On-Demand platforms, theatrical and airline rights.
Winsing Slate Takes Wing with bulbKIDZ
China’s Winsing Animation has teamed up with Canadian/U.S. kids’ entertainment group bulbKIDZ (TuTiTu, NuNi, Alien Baby
Sitters) this year to create a strong presence for its toon line-up, including two hit original kids’ properties:
- Launched in 2019, GOGOBUS is an established hit for children aged 3 to 6 years old. Based on social-emotional learning theory, the crafted series revolves around Gordon the AI school bus that can transform into five different vehicles to help children focus on the task at hand, understand their emotions and be a robot guardian to protect kids’ safety.
- Team S.T.E.A.M.! is a team-up-adventure targeted at preschoolers aged 4 to 8, which premiered and performed well in China in 2020. The series follows a team of six amazing kids who each use a different STEM-based area of expertise to solve the problems they encounter. In the genre of edutainment and rescue, Team S.T.E.A.M.! aims to enlighten children’s interest in science and the spirit of teamwork.
Guru Shows on a Roll
Toronto-based Guru Studio has signed multiple new international broadcast deals for its roster of original shows heading into the market:
- New broadcast deals for the comedy adventure series Big Blue include RTVE Clan in Spain, EBS in South Korea, Canal Panda in Portugal and MBC in the Middle East. Since its world premiere on CBC Kids in Canada, Big Blue has been growing its audience on Nickelodeon in the U.K. and Cartoon Network in Africa.
- New broadcast deals for the preschool hit True and the Rainbow Kingdom include EBS in South Korea and Cartoon Network in Turkey and Philippines. This September, on TinyPop in the U.K., True and the Rainbow Kingdom rated as a top #5 series for kids 4+. A full range of toys are now launching at retail in the U.K. from Bandai U.K. and United Smile.
- Recently announced sales for Pikwik Pack include Tiny Pop in the U.K., Rai in Italy, TG4 in Ireland, Mediacorp Okto in Singapore, YLE in Finland, EBC YOYO in Taiwan, Globosat in Brazil, Canal Panda in Spain & Portugal and OSN in the Middle East & Baltics.
- Additionally, Guru recently announced it acquired international distribution rights to the animated adventure 123 Number Squad! from Omens Studios, which was commissioned by Singapore’s Mediacorp and is scheduled to launch on Sky Kids and NOW in the U.K. in early 2023.