CoMix Wave Films, STORY and TOHO have revealed a new trailer for Your Name. and Weathering With You director Makoto Shinkai’s latest film, Suzume. The just released preview features performances from the newly announced Japanese voice over cast. (See the previously release trailer and synopsis info here.)
The film is due to open in Japan on November 11, and will be distributed in all major territories next year, including North America (Crunchyroll); Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, the Middle East and select European territories (Crunchyroll & Sony Pictures Entertainment); and French- and German-speaking Europe (Crunchyroll, SPE & Wild Bunch International).
Joining Nanoka Hara as Suzume Iwato and Hokuto Matsumura as Souta Munakata will be acclaimed Japanese actress Eri Fukatsu as Suzume’s aunt, Tamaki Iwato, who lives with Suzume as her guardian while working as a manager at a fishing company. Fukatsu is known for her performance in Villain (Akunin, 2010) for which she won the Best Actress Award at the Montreal World Film Festival as well as the Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. She most recently starred in the TV drama, Come Come Everybody.
Joining her will be Kabuki actor Hakuo Matsumoto, who will be playing Souta’s grandfather and ‘Master Close,” Hitsujiro Munakata, who is stern and cold but cares deeply for Souta. Matsumoto has had a decorated career spanning stage plays and TV dramas, most notably the Man of La Mancha stage play adaptation, which launched his 50-year career on the boards.
“In spite of my lack of experience, director Shinkai and the rest of the crew poured everything into this project, which will be reflected in the emotion delivered straight into the hearts of audiences around the world,” Fukatsu shared with the announcement.
Matsumoto added, “It was my first time playing a character in an anime film, and director Shinkai did a wonderful job of guiding me through to the best performances. He was very friendly and kept a positive mood during production, for which I am very grateful.”
Additionally, Tamaki’s fisherman colleague Minoru Okabe will be voiced by Shota Sometani. Rumi Ninomiya, the bar hostess and single mother of two who Suzume encounters in Kobe, will be voiced by Sairi Ito. Chika Amabe, the energetic high school girl Suzume meets in Aichi, will be voiced by Kotone Hanase. And, Suzume’s mother Tsubame Iwato will be voiced by Kana Hanazawa.
In the new trailer, Souta first encounters Suzume and asks if she knows of a door in the area. This chance meeting sets Suzume off on her travels across Japan with Souta (who has been transformed into a chair following an interaction with the speaking cat nicknamed “AristoCat”), closing doors that are causing natural disasters. Along the way to complete Souta’s door-closing mission, she meets Chika and Rumi.
Meet the Characters
Tamaki Iwato: Suzume’s aunt who works at a local fishing company. She lives with Suzume as her guardian, but can be a little overprotective at times.
- “To breathe life into Suzume’s aunt Tamaki by giving her a voice, I humbly took up the challenge despite it being my first time working on a project like this. In spite of my lack of experience, director Shinkai and the rest of the crew poured everything into this project, which will be reflected in the emotion delivered straight into the hearts of audiences around the world. Helping deliver that is my mission for Suzume, and I intend to leave nothing on the table.” — Eri Fukatsu
Minoru Okabe: He works at a local fishing company in the town where Suzume lives and is Tamaki’s coworker. He has a one-sided crush on Tamaki.
- “Never did I imagine myself participating in Suzume, when I first saw the trailer in theaters. Director Shinkai is subtle yet precise in his approach, and I am honored to be a part of the dynamic worlds he creates. The character I play in this film, Minoru, is a fresh, pure and honest soul, and is like a metaphor embodying the town’s spirit where Suzume is from. I hope that everyone has the chance to see this movie in theaters and find out what adventure awaits on the other side of the door. I have no doubt that everyone will be drawn into this magnificent world.” —Shota Sometani
Rumi Ninomiya: A single-mother raising young twins and runs a bar in Kobe city. She picks up Suzume who was hitchhiking on the side of the street.
- “My first reaction when I saw the trailer for Suzume in theaters was, ‘Yes! Finally, another Shinkai film!’ and was in 100% audience mode. Little did I know I was about to receive an offer to play a character in this wonderful film. You can imagine my surprise! I never imagined myself jumping into Shinkai’s world. The character I play, Rumi, is a strong, bright, lively and caring woman, so as I was reading her lines and going into character, I could feel my mind at ease. Makoto Shinkai’s direction was very courteous and delicate in some ways that made me want to rise to the occasion of performing my character as well as I could. Recording in the sound booth was an absolute joy, but now that we’re done, I’m back to being a member of the audience, eagerly awaiting the film’s release.” — Sairi Ito
Chika Amabe: The energetic high school girl Suzume encounters in Ehime Prefecture, who is the same age as Suzume. Her family runs a local inn.
- “My audition was my first time voice acting, so I was honored to have director Shinkai guide me through my performance. When I heard that I got the role, I remember thinking, ‘Are you sure I’m the one?’ but was ecstatic nonetheless. Chika is a junior in high school from Ehime Prefecture and encounters Suzume on her journey. She’s someone Suzume can lean on, while also nudging Suzume forward. The recording process was so much fun because I got to go into such a bright and energetic character. No matter the age, this is a film that gives people courage and helps you reaffirm your love for one another. It will mean different things to different people. I’m honored to be a part of such a wonderful film.” — Kotone Hanase
Tsubame Iwato: Suzume’s mother. She’s an amazing cook and craftsperson who can carve almost anything out of wood. She’s also Tamaki’s older sister.
- “I’m delighted to once again be cast in one of Makoto Shinkai’s films. My character, Tsubame, is a cheerful and lively woman who is also Tsubame’s mother. And, she has very strong ties to that chair that Suzume used when she was little. I took great care in performing the memorable ‘slice-of-life’ scenes throughout the film. I thought Suzume was lovely as she ventured out on her ‘journey to close doors’ while discovering herself along the way. This film is a must-see in theaters!” — Kana Hanazawa
Hitsujiro Munakata: Souta’s grandfather. He is also Souta’s mentor and master when it comes to their profession of “Closing” doors. However, he is currently in a hospital in Tokyo.
- “It was my first time playing a character in an anime film, and director Shinkai did a wonderful job of guiding me through to the best performance. He was very friendly and kept a positive mood during production, for which I am very grateful. Hitsujiro was a difficult character to play. The director’s first words were, ‘This character needs to be dignified, with class’ and I thought over and over to myself, what ‘class’ meant in my performance. The team members on the project were all amazing and treated me so well on set. I cannot wait for the November 11 release of the film, and hope everyone is as excited as I am.” — Hakuo Matsumoto