Developed by award winning creator Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty, Solar Opposites), Season 2 of Star Trek: Lower Decks is bigger, funnier and Star Trekkier than ever before — and it’s charting a course for Blu-ray and DVD on July 12 from Paramount+, CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment. The two-disc collection features over an hour of bonus content, including two exclusive featurettes.
Synopsis: As the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos, Ensigns Beckett Mariner (Tawny Newsome, Space Force), Brad Boimler (Jack Quaid, The Boys‘), Samanthan Rutherford (Eugene Cordero, Kong: Skull Island) and D’Vana Tendi (Noël Wells, Master of None) have to keep up with their duties and their social lives, while the ship is being rocked by a multitude of sci-fi anomalies. Season 2 follows their adventures as they deal with changes in group dynamics, chasing promotions, and tons of sci-fi missions.
Helming the ship is Captain Carol Freeman (Dawnn Lewis, The Rich & the Ruthless), alongside Commander Jack Ransom (Jerry O’Connell, Billions‘), Lieutenant Shaxs (Fred Tatasciore, American Dad!), Doctor T’Ana (Gillian Vigman, New Girl‘), Lieutenant Billups (Paul Scheer, The League) and Lieutenant Kayshon (Carl Tart, Jimmy Kimmel Live!).
S2 also guest stars Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Jeffrey Combs (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) and Lycia Naff (Star Trek: The Next Generation).
The Blu-ray and DVD includes every episode from the action-packed second season, along with over an hour of special features, such as animatics, exclusive featurettes and Easter eggs, including:
- A Sound Foundation – The first season of Lower Decks earned an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Sound Editing for a (half-hour) Comedy or Drama Series or Animation for the episode “No Small Parts”. As sound for an animated series is particularly important, go behind the scenes in an interview with the team that creates the dynamic audio for Lower Decks while they discuss how they bring the series to life.
- Lower Decktionary: Season Two – The start of Season Two sees our heroes separated by death and distance. In this featurette, take a deep dive into all things Season Two through interviews with the producers, cast and creatives about developing and executing the characters’ journeys in the second season.
- Audio Commentaries:
- Ep. 202 “Kayshon, His Eyes Open” by Mike McMahan, Jack Quaid and Jonathan Frakes
- Ep. 205 “An Embarrassment of Dooplers” by Mike McMahan and Jack Quaid
- Ep. 207 “Where Pleasant Fountains Lie” by Tawny Newsome, Paul Scheer and Garrick Bernard
- Ep. 209 “wej Duj” by Mike McMahan, Gabrielle Ruiz and Kathryn Lyn
- Season Two Easter Eggs (Episodes 201-210)
- Season Two Animatics (Episodes 201-210)
Alex Kurtzman, Aaron Baiers (Secret Hideout); Heather Kadin; Rod Roddenberry, Trevor Roth (Roddenberry Entertainment); and Katie Krentz (219 Productions) serve as executive producers, alongside creator and showrunner McMahan.
- 201: “Strange Energies”
- 202: “Kayshon, His Eyes Open”
- 203: “We’ll Always Have Tom Paris”
- 204: “Mugato, Gumato”
- 205: “An Embarrassment of Dooplers”
- 206: “The Spy Humongous”
- 207: “Where Pleasant Fountains Lie”
- 208: “I, Excretus”
- 209: “wej Duj”
- 210: “First First Contact”
Star Trek: Lower Decks S2 is produced by CBS’ Eye Animation
Productions, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. Emmy-winning indie Titmouse is the animation studio for the series. The series streams exclusively on Paramount+ in the U.S. and Latin America is istributed concurrently by ViacomCBS Global Distribution Group.
The S2 Blu-ray and DVD are presented in widescreen format with English SDH subtitles. The Blu-ray offers English 5.1 DTS-HD master audio and French 5.1 Dolby Digital audio, while the DVD offers English 5.1 Dolby Digital audio.