More guilds announced their 2022 award nominees today, namely the Art Directors Guild (ADG, IATSE, Local 800) and the Motion Picture Sound Editors (MPSE). The two bodies are in agreement as to the five outstanding animated features of the year; while the Golden Reels will also crown the best in episodic/short-form and non-theatrical animation sound design.
The 26th Annual Art Directors Guild Awards will take place March 5 at the InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown. See the compelte list of nominees here (www.adg.org). the nomineeds for Animated Feature Film are:
- Encanto< (Disney) Production designers Ian Gooding, Lorelay Bové; art directors William D. Schwab, Camille Andre, Mehrdad Isvandi
- Luca (Pixar/Disney) Production designer Daniela Strijleva; art directors Deanna Marsigliese, Don Shank, Paul Abadilla, Chia-Han Jennifer Chang, Josh Holtsclaw, Daniel Lopez Munoz
- Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney) Production designers Paul Felix, Mingjue Helen Chen, Cory Loftis; art directors Shiyoon Kim, Ami Thompson
- Sing 2. (Illumination/Universal) Art director Olivier Adam
- The Mitchells vs. the Machines. (Sony Pictures Animation/Netflix) Production designer Lindsey Olivares; art directors Toby Wilson, David R. Bleich
Hybrid children’s seriess Waffles + Mochi is also nominated in the Variety, Reality or Competition Series category for episode “Tomato” (prod. designers Cindy Chao and Michele Yu; set designers Rebecca McAusland and Michael Leonard; graphic designers Sarah M. Gonzalez and Gina Alessi; set decorator Lizzie Boyle).
Celebrating talented sound artists the world over, the MPSE revealed the nominees for the 69th Annual MPSE Golden Reel Awards. This year, the awards ceremony will be held as an international virtual event on Sunday, March 13. The full list of nominees is available here (www.mpse.org).
Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Animation Series or Short
- Jurassic World – Camp Cretaceous “Eye of the Storm” (Netflix) Supervising sound editor Rob McIntyre MPSE; sound designer Evan Dockter; sound effects editors Marc Schmidt, D.J. Lynch; dialogue editor Anna Adams; foley editor Aran Tanchum; foley artists Ezra Walker, Vincent Guisetti
- Love, Death + Robots “Snow in the Desert” (Netflix) Supervising sound editor Brad North MPSE; sound designer Craig Henighan MPSE; foley editors Jeff Gross, Dawn Lunsford; foley artist Alicia Stevens; music editor Jeff Charbonneau
- Star Trek: Lower Decks “Strange Energies” (Paramount+) Supervising sound editor James Lucero; sound effects editors James Singleton, Mak Kellerman; dialogue editor Michael LaFerla; foley artist Michael Britt
- Star Wars: Visions “The Duel” (Disney+) Supervising sound editors David W. Collins, Matthew Wood; sound designer David W. Collins; sound editor Luke Dunn Gielmuda; foley artist Jana Vance
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch “Reunion” (Disney+) Supervising sound editor Matthew Wood; sound designer David W. Collins; sound editor David W. Collins; foley editor Frank Rinella; foley artist Kimberly Patrick
- Star Wars: A Galaxy of Sounds “Excitement” (Disney+) Supervising sound editor David W. Collins; sound designers Ben Burtt, David Acord, Ren Klyce, Tim Nielson, Chris Scarabosio, Tom Bellfort, Sam Shaw, Gary Rydstrom MPSE; sound editor Matthew Wood
Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Non-Theatrical Animation
- Arcane – League of Legends “When These Walls Come Tumbling Down” (Netflix) Supervising sound editors Brad Beaumont MPSE, Eliot Connors MPSE; supervising music editor Alexander Temple; supervising ADR editor Shannon Beaumont; foley editor Alexander Ephraim MPSE; foley artists Dan O’ Connell, John Cucci MPSE; music editor Alex Seaver
- LEGO Star Wars “Terrifying Tales” (Disney+) Supervising sound editors David W. Collins, Matthew Wood; sound designer David W. Collins; sound editors Justin Doyle, Bonnie Wild; foley editor Frank Rinella; foley artists Kimberly Patrick, Andrea Gard
- Maya and the Three “Chapter 9: The Sun and the Moon” (Netflix) Supervising sound editor Scott Martin Gershin MPSE; sound designers Chris Richardson, Andrew Vernon MPSE; sound designer Scott Martin Gershin MPSE; sound effects editors David Barbee MPSE, Masanobu “Tomi” Tomita; foley artist Dan O’Connell; music editor Andres Locsey
- What if…Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands? (Disney+) Supervising sound editor Mac Smith; sound effects editors Bill Rudolph, Alyssa Nevarez; dialogue editor Cheryl Nardi; supervising music editor Anele Onyekwere; music editor Tom Kramer; foley artists John Roesch MPSE; Shelley Roden MPSE
- White Snake 2: The Tribulation of the Green Snake (Netflix) Supervising sound editor Gary Chen; sound designer Gary Chen; sound effects editors Wang Shuangshuang, Gary Chen, Mango Mok, Ji Hongrui, Irene Sun, Qiu Yi; ADR editors Listen Zhang, Liu Huizhe; foley editors Liu Huizhe, Cui Lin; foley artist Wang Ziwei, Miao Yin, Zhang Jindong, Xin Shengnan
Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Animation
- Encanto (Walt Disney Animation Studios) Supervising sound editor Shannon Mills; supervising dialogue editor Brad Semenoff MPSE; sound designer Nia Hansen; sound effects editors Samson Neslund, Justin Doyle, Cameron Barker, Qianbaihui Yang MPSE; dialogue editor Richard Quinn; foley editor Alyssa Nevarez; foley artists John Roesch MPSE, Shelley Roden MPSE; supervising music editor Earl Ghaffari; music editors Angie Rubin, Kendall Demarest MPSE
- Luca (Pixar Animation Studios) Supervising sound editors Chris Scarabosio, André Fenley; supervising dialogue editor Rich Quinn; supervising foley editor Ronni Brown; sound effects editors Justin Doyle, Pascal Garneau; foley editor E. Larry Oatfield; foley artists Jana Vance, Ronni Brown; music editor Lodge Worster
- The Mitchells vs. the Machines (Sony Pictures Animation) Supervising sound editor Geoffrey G. Rubay; supervising ADR editor James Morioka; sound designer John Pospisil; sound effects editors Kip Smedley, Andy Sisul MPSE, Alec G. Rubay, Dan Kenyon, Greg Ten Bosch MPSE; ADR editor Curt Schulkey; foley artist Gregg Barbanell MPSE; foley artist Rick Owens MPSE; music editors Dominick Certo MPSE, Barbara McDermott
- Raya and the Last Dragon (Walt Disney Animation Studios) Supervising sound editor Shannon Mills; supervising dialogue editor Brad Semenoff MPSE; sound designer Nia Hansen; sound effects editors Samson Neslund, David C. Hughes, Cameron Barker; foley editors Chris Frazier, Steve Orlando; foley artists John Roesch MPSE, Shelley Roden MPSE; supervising music editor Jim Weidman; music editor David Olson
- Sing 2 (Illumination/Universal Pictures) Supervising sound editor Dennis Leonard; supervising dialogue editor Jonathan Greber; supervising ADR editor Daniel Laurie; sound designer Josh Gold; sound effects editors Lucas Miller, Benjamin A. Burtt; foley editors Shaun Farley MPSE, Jonathon Stevens; music editors Michael Connell, Charles Inouye
Jonas Poher Rasmussen’s Flee (NEON) has also been nominated in the Feature Documentary category: Supervising sound editor Edward Björner; dialogue editor Jens Johansson; sound designer Fredrik Jonsäter; foley artists Rune Van Deurs, Bengt Öberg.