Just in time for the Memorial weekend, fanboy favorite Bryan Singer announced...
New Maya Tutorials On DVD
The Gnomon Workshop, an outgrowth of the Gnomon School of Visual Effects, has released nine new training DVDs on modeling, dynamics and expressions in Alias|Wavefront’s Maya.
This series, which includes three DVDs on NURBS modeling and four titles on Maya’s Dynamics engine, was produced by Alex Alvarez, director of the Gnomon Workshop and School; Darrin Krumweide, associate director of Gnomon; and Andrew Orloff, Gnomon instructor and freelance 3D artist and supervisor.
Orloff, Gnomon’s newest video instructor, is Head of CG at Zoic. In addition to ad work for Skittles, Coca-Cola, Intel, Chevy Tahoe, Carl’s Jr. and Taco Bell, the UCLA School of Theatre Film and Television graduate has also created music videos for Cake, Mariah Carey and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. His TV credits include the WB series Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Each title features 110 minutes of instruction, lecture notes, resource spotlights and bonus materials.
• NURBS Modeling, I: Basics — addresses how Maya’s set of NURBS modeling tools can be used to effectively sculpt an infinite variety of organic and hard-shelled objects.
• NURBS Modeling, II: Surfacing — demonstrates NURBS modeling of intermediate-level complexity.
• NURBS Modeling, III: GTP Racecar — focuses on the intermediate/advanced modeling of a GTP racecar.
• Expressions, I: Intro To Particle Expressions — presents how to use MEL (Maya-Embedded Language) to form and control relationships between particle and object attributes over time.
• Expressions, II: Particle Expressions In-Depth — shows how to gain a greater degree of control over particle attributes.
• Dynamics, VIII: Introduction to Softbodies — begins a four-part series which delves into a myriad of softbody effects — begins with controlling particle behavior and applying fields, goals, collisions, springs and expressions.
• Dynamics, IX: Softbody Effects — moves on to more specific applications such as ground-plane effects, combining softbodies with rigid bodies, blendshape deformers and auxiliary spring effects and interconnected softbodies.
• Dynamics, X: Softbody Lattices and Curves — covers specific applications of lattices and curves.
• Dynamics, XI: Spring Effects — focuses on demonstrating how objects in Maya can be positionally and orientationally constrained to softbody movement in order to create mechanisms which combine both rigid and elastic objects.
The DVDs are priced at $79 each and can be purchased at http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/.