Discreet today announced that combustion 4, the latest version of its desktop compositing software, will be available for PC in March and for Mac in May of this year. The release promises to offer motion graphics and compositing artists new creative capabilities, interface improvements, additional paint tools and enhanced interoperability with most 3D animation products including Discreet’s 3ds max, its cleaner encoding software and its systems products such as flint, flame, inferno, fire and smoke.
A key new feature in combustion 4 is Discreet’s Diamond Keyer, the second generation of sophisticated keying algorithms derived from flame, the company’s Academy Award-winning online visual effects system. Also new is Time-Warp, a fully key-frameable time-remapping operator that allows for the quick creation of slow motion and speed-up effects.
New creative features include B-spline vector shapes and new point-grouping for faster, more efficient rotoscoping; enhanced paint tools such as grids and rulers, B-spline and new customized brushes; and new optimized Fast Gaussian Blur. The numerous interface enhancements include edit, operator, navigation, filtering and compare tool improvements.
Other features include:
• Custom capsules that allow users to create and save encapsulated single or grouped operator nodes.
• Gbuffer builder to enable custom building of Discreet’s Rich Pixel Format. (RPF) data structures from bitmap files for more extensive use of combustion’s RPF nodes.
• Merge operator for quickly merging 2 layers of the same size using any of combustion’s transfer nodes.
• New file import/export options for importing images into color mixer and import ASE (ASCII Scene Export) camera targets from 3ds max.
• Windows Media and Open EXR compatible output.
Discreet’s combustion 4 will retail for $995, but users who upgrade from combustion 3 can get it for $249. Customers who purchase a full commercial or educational seat of combustion 3 between now and the shipping date can qualify for a free upgrade to combustion 4. For more information, visit www.discreet.com or call 1-800-869-3504.