During the Television Critics Association’s Winter Press Tour at the Langham Hotel in Pasadena, California, Hulu’s SVP of Originals Craig Erwich presented the company’s lineup of upcoming original programming — which includes a quartet of new adult-targeted animated series inspired by the less-traversed corners of the Marvel Universe.
“Hulu is taking big swings on bold and brand-defining stories that reflect the culture and inspire conversation. The series and films we’re presenting today come from many of the biggest storytellers and fresh new voices in entertainment, and reflect why Hulu is a home for creators to do their very best work,” said Erwich.
The news was revealed on the heels of Hulu’s recent growth in 2018 to more than 25 million total subscribers across its subscription on demand (SVOD) and live TV plans in the U.S. — marking a 48% increase from 2017. The company also recently announced that engagement — average time spent per subscriber — on Hulu grew 20% year over year.
Under a new partnership, Marvel Television will create new adult animation Hulu Originals based on fan-favorite characters: Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K, Marvel’s Hit-Monkey, Marvel’s Tigra & Dazzler Show and Marvel’s Howard the Duck. Joining Hulu’s vast collection of animated content, the four originals will culminate in a special, Marvel’s The Offenders.
- Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K. centers around an egomaniacal supervillain with a really big head and a really little body, who struggles to maintain control of his evil organization and his demanding family. Writers Jordan Blum and Patton Oswalt will also executive produce along with Jeph Loeb.
- Marvel’s Hit-Monkey tells the tale of a wronged Japanese snow monkey, mentored by the ghost of an American assassin, as he cuts a wide swath through the Tokyo underworld in this darkly cinematic and brutally funny revenge saga. Writers Josh Gordon and Will Speck will executive produce along with Jeph Loeb.
- Marvel’s Tigra & Dazzler Show is a story about two woke superheroes and best friends, Tigra and Dazzler, as they fight for recognition among powered people who make up the eight million stories in Los Angeles. Writers Erica Rivinoja and Chelsea Handler serve as executive producers along with Jeph Loeb.
- Marvel’s Howard The Duck is trapped in a world he never made, but America’s favorite fighting fowl hopes to return home with the help of his unstoppable gal pal Beverly before the evil Dr. Bong can turn him the crispiest dish on the menu. Writers Kevin Smith and Dave Willis will also executive produce along with Jeph Loeb.
- Marvel’s The Offenders is a story in which nobody asked them to — and we’d be better off if they didn’t — but MODOK, Dazzler, Tigra, Hit Monkey and Howard the Duck are all forced to team up in order to save the world and certain parts of the Universe. Jeph Loeb will executive produce.