Having just announced their 2018 Faculty Grant recipients, ASIFA-Holywood and the Animation Educators Forum have opened the application period for the 2018-19 Student Scholarship Program, running through May 7 and accessible via the AEF website. Recipients will be announced in July.
The AEF Scholarships are merit-based awards designed to support college students in continuing their education in the field of animation.
“This is an international opportunity designed to support students enrolled in college animation programs, anywhere in the world, in their quest to complete their education in this field,” says Dori Littell-Herrick for AEF. “Proposals will be accepted from undergraduate students entering the sophomore year or above and for graduate students working toward the completion of a thesis. The awards range from $2,500 to $5,000 US and may be applied to tuition, books and supplies, animation equipment (including computer hardware or software), formal academic research and senior or graduate thesis production.”
Requirements details available here.
Application materials will include:
- A short introductory biography of the student (maximum of 1 page);
- A proposal for the scholarship, describing how the student will use it and how that will benefit the student’s goals in animation (maximum of two pages);
- An itemized budget outlining how the scholarship funds will be utilized;
- A formal abstract for an academic paper, reel of work (maximum of two minutes with contributions indicated if part of a multi-person production) and/or still artwork (maximum of 10 digital images);
- Two letters of recommendation — one from a faculty member/advisor who knows the student well and one from a member of any ASIFA chapter OR an individual with professional animation experience that can be verified.
Last year, ASIFA & AEF bestowed $31,000 in scholarship funds to seven students attending animation programs in the US and Greece.