- Leading anime and manga destination Crunchyroll (40+ million registered users, 1+ million subscribers) is shopping a diverse slate of properties available for licensing across categories and genres, from the mega-kawaii Bananya: The Kitty That Lives in a Banana, which saw impressive sales during back-to-school at Target (U.S.), and the surreal horror masterpieces of manga-ka Junji Ito, currently featured on apparel at Hot Topic and Urban Outfitters (U.S.) Additional key titles include Mob Psycho 100, DARLING in the FRANXX, Black Clover, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Radiant, Goblin Slayer, Re:ZERO, Yuri!!! On ICE, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card and Double Decker.
- In the run-up to Ghostbusters 35th Anniversary, Sony Pictures Consumer Products and Ghost Corps are tapping FourThirtyThree Inc. to launch a next gen mobile AR game titled Ghostbusters World this fall, as part of a jam-packed year of celebrations, partnerships and exclusives. The game allows fans and adventure seekers of all ages to hunt and battle hundreds of ghosts from all dimensions of the iconic franchise. The game offers a deep, immersive experience, featuring an original story and artwork from the creators behind the IDW comic book series. Pre-order in the App Store and Google Play.
The celebrations will also include the Ghostbusters Fan Fest (presented by Wizard World) June 8-9, 2019, with exclusive panels, meets with creators/talent/crew, and more. Wizard World Comic Con events will also offer a pop-up show with exclusive Merch throughout 2019. The Ghostbusters Live concerts begin this month, with key dates including Dublin (Dec. 7), Liverpool (Dec. 28-29) and Toronto (June 8, 2019). CP plans include a Stranger Things 2 Ghostbusters Costume Figure Set inspired by the Netflix series homage to the 1984 flick, from McFarlane Toys. SPCP is producing limited edition posters with Mondo (released at San Diego Comic-Con). And partners for 2019 include Playmobil (figures & playsets), Mattel (games, activities & crafts), Hallmark (seasonal), Hybrid (apparel), Ripple Junction (apparel), Rubies (costumes) and Insight Editions (publishing).
- Sony Pictures Entertainment Worldwide Consumer Products and Penguin Random House UK are teaming up on a worldwide licensing & CP campaign for Peter Rabbit 2 (Feb. 7, 2020 U.S. / March 27, 2020 U.K.), with Penguin Ventures managing in the U.K., Eire, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Beatrix Potter-inspired sequel will be again directed by Will Gluck and produced at Aussie studio Animal Logic; the first movie grossed over $351 million worldwide.
- The Pokémon Company has extended its agreement with H&M to launch new apparel, accessories and footwear lines inspired by the globally beloved “pocket monsters.” The soft lines partnership will debut in fall/winter 2018-2019, ahead of the theatrical release of the franchise’s first live-action film, Pokémon: Detective Pikachu.
- Rooster Teeth is partnering with DC Comics to produce a slate of comic-book series inspired by its original animation properties: anime-style phenomenon RWBY and the highly anticipated mech-pilot adventure gen:LOCK starring Michael B. Jordan and co-produced by his Outlier Productions. The title will start rolling out physically and digitally in 2019. DC and Rooster Teeth, a subsidiary of Otter Media, are both WarnerMedia companies.
- Rovio Entertainment has tapped Zappar to create a new AR app that ties licensed products into the digital Angry Birds Working titled “Project Magic,” the app will bring players into a new world where they can interact with branded content experiences — including a visit to Bird Island, where they can explore AR locations and events. Project Magic will launch in 2019.
More in Licensing
***This article originally appeared in the December ‘18 issue of Animation Magazine (No. 285)*** Those seeking ...
***This article originally appeared in the Sept./Oct. ‘18 issue of Animation Magazine (No. 283)*** “Surreal” is ...
Fathom Events to Sponsor 2nd Annual Animation Is Film Festival “We chose to sponsor Animation Is ...