It’s been 20 years since Don Bluth’s groundbreaking laser disc arcade game Dragon’s Lair started gobbling quarters. To commemorate the anniversary, Digital Leisure is producing a special edition DVD box set including the classic games Dragon’s Lair, Space Ace and Dragon’s Lair II: Time Warp. The collection will hit stores in early October.
The best thing about this release is that you don’t need a game console to play. The games work on a standard DVD player with the remote working as a joystick. It also promises to take full advantage of the video quality and audio capabilities that DVD offers.
The fully interactive games feature all the scenes from the original arcade releases, plus new scenes animated in 1983 but previously unseen. In addition, fans who’ve licked the game in the past will find renewed challenge in a new difficulty selection.
As an added feature, this 20th Anniversary Edition also chronicles the achievements of creators Don Bluth, Gary Goldman and John Pomeroy; and technical wizard Rick Dyer.
• Newspaper clippings
• Historical and current interviews
• Documentary on 20 years of Dragon’s Lair
• Complete episode of the 1983 television show Starcade, featuring gamers vying for a Dragon’s Lair arcade machine
• Photo gallery including high-resolution scans of box art and licensed merchandise
• Preview scenes from the upcoming Dragon’s Lair 3D release
• Discussion with the creators and developers
Digital Leisure is taking pre-orders at www.digitalleisure.com at the price of $59.95.