Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of such classic games as Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, Pikmin and F-Zero, has topped a survey of game developers’ industry hero.
The survey, commissioned by the Develop Conference in Brighton, England, polled 9,000 game developers across the globe. The results were compiled into a top ten list of game development heroes:
1. Shigeru Miyamoto, often referred to as ‘the father of modern video games.’
2. John Carmack, co-founder of id Software and lead programmer on Doom and Quake.
3. Will Wright, co-founder of Maxis and the brains behind SimCity and The Sims franchise and, more recently, Spore.
4. Dave Jones, founder of Realtime Worlds and co-founder of Rockstar North, Jones created Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto.
5. Sid Meier, founder of MicroProse and developer of Civilization.
6. Peter Molyneux, creator of God games Dungeon Keeper, Populous and Black & White, as well as Theme Park, Fable and Fable 2.
7. David Braben, founder of Frontier, Braben is best known for co-writing the hugely popular Elite.
8. Masaya Matsuura, who took the games industry by storm with the release of PaRappa The Rapper.
9. Michael Morhaime, president and co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment, the legendary creator of Warcraft, StarCraft, the Diablo series and the world’s biggest MMORPG World of Warcraft.
10. Jonathan Blow, developer of award-winning title Braid.
This year’s Develop Conference is set for July 14-16, and will feature addresses from Jones, Braben and Matsuura.