Steven Spielberg will exec produce a live-action TV series based on the popular...
Disney Infinity Opens Doors to New Game Platform
Disney Interactive has unveiled a new ambitious gaming initiative titled Disney Infinity. This platform, which will kick off in June, will allow players to create stories and enjoy games starring characters from The Walt Disney Company (Pirates of the Caribbean) and Pixar Animation Studios (Monsters, Inc., The Incredibles) Disney Infinity allows players to both experience original adventures in some of their favorite Disney and Pixar worlds and to build their own worlds using the power of their imagination.
Disney Infinity integrates collectible character figures that come to life in the game. These figures provide experiences that are true to these characters and stories, as well as the opportunity to bring characters from various Disney and Pixar films to play together in a virtual “Toy Box.” This all-new game universe will launch in June across all consoles and will have a phased roll out across mobile and online devices throughout 2013.
Throughout each story-driven experience, called a “Play Set,” players will solve challenging puzzles, battle enemies and explore iconic locations from famous Disney properties, while collecting unique characters, vehicles, and gadgets from each world and saving them to a virtual “Toy Box.” Players can access their “Toy Box” and build and customize their own unique virtual world using their favorite characters, vehicles, settings and accessories. Disney Infinity allows players the opportunity to share these unique creations in the “Toy Box” mode with friends both online and off.
The Disney Infinity Platform includes:
- Disney Infinity Interactive Pieces – Initially a line of 40 collectible interactive pieces will be introduced that allow players to expand and customize their play experiences.
- Disney Infinity Interactive Character Figures – 17 character figures will allow players to experience a variety of their favorite characters in true to property experiences and in “Toy Box” mode.
- Disney Infinity Base – When figures are placed on the Infinity base, they unlock the world and play experiences of Disney Infinity.
- Disney Infinity Power Discs – Interactive discs can be placed on the Infinity base to power up characters and “Toy Box” with unique powers, customizations and gadgets.
According to video game developer Avalanche Software, Toy Story 3 was the inspiration behind Disney Infinity, with the game’s free-form play pattern significantly expanded for the new platform. Idea for Disney Infinity was developed when Disney Interactive wanted to expand the initial idea for a Toy Story 3 game sequel.
The PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and Wii U will be almost identical, but there is no plan for cross-play between platforms at this time. PC will follow suit, but codes (purchased online) will take the place of the Infinity base reader, figurines (characters), and discs (buffs, mounts, etc.).
Here is the projected price breakdown:
- Starter Pack (3 figures, reader base, and game): $74.99
- Play Set Pack (basically a level hub and campaign, think DLC): $34.99
- Disney Infinity Figure: $12.99
- Figure 3-Pack: $29.99
- Power Disc Pack (blind purchases): $4.99