The document trademarking Walt Disney’s name, production art from How the Grinch Stole Christmas (just in time for its 50th anniversary), original set pieces from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, never-before-seen production art from the original Transformers TV series, plus works by Eyvind Earle, Mary Blair, Charles Schulz, Chuck Jones and more — if you are looking for a holiday gift that will really wow the animation lover in your life (even if that person is you — no judgment here, treat yourself), Profiles in History’s Animation and Disneyana auction has you covered.
The bidding war will be waged this Friday, December 9 at 11 a.m. PT — click over to www.profilesinhistory.com fora PDF catalog and information on how to participate in person, by phone, fax and absentee ballot, or online in real time.
“This sale represents a rare opportunity for collectors on so many fronts,” said Joe Maddalena, owner of Profiles in History. “In addition to Walt Disney’s last will and testament and signed document trademarking his legendary name, we have an extensive selection of illustration art, including Charles Schulz, Dr. Seuss, Chuck Jones, Gary Larson, E.H. Shepard and Robert Crumb. I am especially excited to have a wide array of Bob Olszewski’s extraordinary sculptures in this sale, highlighted by the Disneyland Main Street diorama. There’s literally something here for everyone!”
Select auction highlights include:
– Walt Disney Signed Last Will and Testament (est. $40k-$60k)
– Walt Disney Signed Legal License for Use of His Name by Walt Disney Inc. ($60k-$80k)
– 65 lots from the Carol and Larry Mills Collection of Bob Olszewski works including Walt Disney World Main Street complete model set no longer available at retail ($1,500-$2,500) and a range of Gallery of Light pieces; many signed by artist.
– Nightmare Before Christmas “Jack Skellington” Reference Maquette and Coffin Sleigh and Trash Can Prop ($15k-$20k)
– Pinocchio “Jiminy Cricket as the Tramp” Production Cel on Background ($20k-$25k)
– Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs “Wicked Queen” Prod. Cel ($12k-$15k)
– Peter Pan Art Props Christmas Presentation Art ($8k-$12k)
– Disneyland Adventure Thru Inner Space Original “Atom Mobile” Prop ($5k-$7k)
– Walt Disney World Pirates of the Caribbean Prop Pistol ($1k-$2k)
– Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas “Grinch” and “Max” with Sleigh Prod. Cels on Background Signed by Chuck Jones ($8k-$12k)
– Chuck Jones Baby Bugs Bunny Painting ($15k-$20k)
– Bewitched Opening Title “Samantha” Prod. Cel with Effects Cel From season 7 opening animated by Hanna-Barbera ($4k-$6k)
– I Dream of Jeannie Opening Credits “Jeannie” Prod. Cel Produced by DePatie-Freleng, directed by Friz Freleng ($3k-$5k)