The 3rd Annual Los Angeles Animation Festival will feature the West Coast premiere of Bibo Bergeron’s 3-D feature A Monster in Paris, as well as revivals of The Iron Giant, Team America: World Police, Fantastic Planet, Akira and Shrek. Scheduled to run from March 7-11 at the Regent Showcase theater in Hollywood, this year’s LAFF also includes Sean Lennon as artistic director and will honor a special tribute to indie legend Bill Plympton.
The festival will also include a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Six Point Harness’s hugely successful web toon, Dick Figures, which has over 85 million views today, as well as a unique tribute to the past and present of MTV’s influential show Liquid Television.
“Beyond celebrating the world of animation, LAAF provides up and coming animators the opportunity to connect with industry professionals and showcase their work,” said John Andrews, LAAF founder & co-director. “This year we’re excited to honor one of the greats of animation, Bill Plympton, whose work and independent career have inspired so many of us in the field of animation.”
Here’s the official program release:
MTV’s Liquid Television is sponsoring a competition offering a $5,000 development deal. This year’s complete contest categories include Best Short (20 minutes or less), Best Feature, Best TV episode (11-30 minutes), Best Animated Music Video and the special category, Best “Animation on the Edge”. This category is sponsored by MTV’s Liquid Television and looks to recognize an animator’s work that is on the cutting edge of humor, story-telling or technique aimed at a teen or adult audience. Selected entries will play before each of the festival programs. All category winners will receive Toonboom software packages. Details on entering can be found at www.laafest.com. All entries must be postmarked by February 14, 2012.
Wednesday, March 7th:
- Opening Night Party: Hosted by Tom Kenny (voice of SpongeBob SquarePants) featuring celebrities on stage, and live band Nylon Pink.
- Teaser reels of LAAF and cartoon contributions from Jerry Beck.
Thursday, March 8th
- Akira: presented by Sean Lennon.
Friday, March 9th
- The Iron Giant: Special Charity Screening with cast and crew.
- MTV and Titmouse present Liquid Television past and present.
Saturday, March 10th
- Dick Figures: Six Point Harness presents the web sensation—with cast & crew LIVE recording.
- Cal Arts: Special current and historical screening.
- World Premiere of Adventures in Plymptoons: with honoree Bill Plympton and director, Alexia Anastasio.
- Shrek 10th Anniversary and Oscar® Celebration Event: Gala, special event and feature screening.
- A Monster in Paris: West Coast premiere with cast.
- Team America: World Police with special guests from the film.
Sunday, March 11th
- Asifa-Hollywood presents the screening of a classic animated feature.
- LAAF Awards Ceremony and 20th Anniversary Screening of Honoree Bill Plympton’s The Tune: Plympton will accept award in person.
- Fantastic Planet: Presented by Sean Lennon with live score by Jesus Makes the Shotgun Sound.
Passes to attend the festival will be available shortly to the general public. Festival passes provide access to all screenings, events, panels and receptions. For details, visit www.laafest.com. Festival passes and tickets to all individual events can also be purchased in person at the Regent Showcase beginning on Wed 7th March.