The animated feature Foosball, directed by Juan Jose Campanella, won the grand prize at the New York International Children’s Film Festival.
Foosball is scheduled for release in the United States in August by The Weinstein Co. under the title The Underdogs. Argentinian director Campanella won an Oscar for best foreign language film for the 2009 live-action feature El secreto de sus ojos (The Secret in their Eyes).
The grand prize for short films went to A Town Called Panic: The Christmas Log, directed by Stephane Aubier and Vincent Patar.
The full list of prizes follows:
- Best animated short: Jamon, Iria Lopez, Spain
- Best live-action short: Crocodiles Without Saddles, Britta Wandaogo, Germany
- Grand Prize Feature: Foosball, Juan Jose Campanella, Argentina
- Grand Prize Short: A Town Called Panic: The Christmas Log, Stephane Aubier & Vincent Patar, Belgium/France
- Ages 3-6: Snowflake, Natalia Chernysheva, Russia
- Ages 5-10: A Town Called Panic: The Christmas Log, Stephane Aubier & Vincent Patar, Belgium/France
- Ages 8-14: The Dam Keeper, Dice Tsutsumi & Robert Kondo, USA
- Ages 12-18: Sleight of Hand, Michael Cusack, Australia
- Parents Award: 9 Meter, Anders Walter, Denmark