Five films, including three from Japan, have been nominated for the best animated feature honor at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards.
The five nominated films are:
- Ibara no Ou (King of Thorn), Japan, produced by Yasumasa Tsuchiya
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, Australia-U.S.A., produced by Zareh Nalbandian
- Mai Mai Shinko to Sennen no Maho (Mai Mai Miracle), Japan, produced by Tomohiko Iwase, Miho Ichii and Ryoichiro Matsuo
- Hottarake no Shima – Haruka to Maho no Kagami (Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror), Japan, produced by Mitsuhisa Ishikawa and Chihiro Kameyama
- Piercing I, China, produced by Lynne Wang.
The awards are an initiative of the Australia’s Queensland government in collaboration with UNESCO and FIAPF. A total of 239 films were entered in the competition.
The international jury headed by Lord David Puttnam will assemble on Australia’s Gold Coast in late November ahead of the APSA Ceremony on Dec. 2, during which the winners will be announced.