The Hive Gallery & Studios in downtown Los Angeles has announced an upcoming exhibit titled The Secret Art of Animators, which will showcase personal artwork made by the some of the top talents in the field.
The show will run Sept. 6-27 and is curated by Stephen Holman and Josephine T. Huang, producers, directors and creators of stop-motion animated series Life With Loopy (Nickelodeon), The Bite-Sized Adventures of Sam Sandwich (Disney Junior) and Phantom Investigators (Warner Bros).
Some of the artists exhibiting in the show are:
- Ric Heitzman, production designer on Pee-wee’s Playhouse.
- Martin Cendreda, animation director and animator for South Park, The Problem Solverz, and The Fairly OddParents.
- Carol Wyatt, production and color designer for The Simpsons, Rick & Morty and Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends.
- Matt Forsythe, character designer on Adventure Time.
- Facundo Rabaudi, visual development artist and model maker on How To Train Your Dragon 1 & 2, The Croods and Shrek.
- Tory Bellici, model maker on Star Wars: Episodes I & II and on-screen star/presenter on Mythbusters.
- Stephen Chiodo, Chiodo Bros., animation director and puppet fabricator on The Simpsons, Tim Burton’s Vincent and Elf.
- Kevin Sukho Lee, Nickelodeon director of animation development and animation producer on Yo Gabba Gabba!
- Jon Schnepp, designer, creator and director of Dethklok for Adult Swim, director for The Venture Bros. and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- Becky Dreistadt, character designer and comic book artist for Adventure Time, Yo Gabba Gabba! and Nick Jr.
- Musa Brooker, stop motion animator and director with credits including Elf, Robot Chicken and Phantom Investigators.
- Eric Calderon, animation producer and director, Afro Samurai, Linkin Park’s “Breaking the Habit” music video, MTV and SEGA.
- John “Harv” Harvatine, co-founder, producer and director at Stoopid Buddy Stoodios, producers of Adult Swim’s Robot Chicken.
- Justin Kohn, stop motion animator, The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach and Coraline.
- Lisa Hanawalt, production designer, Netflix’s Bojack Horseman.
- Jesse Moynihan, writer and storyboard artist on Adventure Time.
- Margaret Meyer, character and costume fabricator on Coraline, ParaNorman, Robot Chicken and Moral Orel.
- Mike Murnane, model maker and sculptor on Coraline, ParaNorman and Star Wars: Episode II.
- Devin Flynn, animation director and animator, Y’all So Stupid, Wondershowzen, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and music videos for Flying Lotus and The Alchemist.
- Karen Chau, creator and character designer, Ni Hao Kai Lan for Nick Jr.
- Rick “Dienzo” Blanco, VP of Creative for Cartoon Network Enterprises.
- Dominic Polcino, director of the Star Wars episodes of Family Guy, The Simpsons and King of the Hill.
- Rich Zimmerman, stop motion animator of Gumby, Pee-wee’s Playhouse, Coraline and The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- Fon Davis, set and model builder on The Nightmare Before Christmas, James & The Giant Peach and Coraline.
- Stephen Holman, creator of Life with Loopy, Phantom Investigators, Sam Sandwich, Joe Normal (MTV’s Liquid TV) and animation artist on Pee-wee’s Playhouse.
- Josephine Huang, creator of Life with Loopy, Phantom Investigators and Sam Sandwich.
The show is a fundraiser for the non-profit Fighting for Fitness, which helps overweight and disadvantaged children get fit.
It opens Sept. 6 from 8-11:30 p.m., all ages are admitted with a $5 suggested donation at the door.