Fans attending Disney’s second D23 Expo this August in Anaheim will have a chance to seen an exclusive advance screening of The Lion King in 3D.
The Aug. 20 screening in Disney Digital 3D will be the first chance for the public to see the new 3D version of the 1994 classic before it gets a special two-week theatrical release starting Sept. 16 and a new home video release Oct. 4 of the Diamond Edition on DVD, Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray.
The special screening is an ideal fit for D23, which runs Aug. 19-21 at the Anaheim Convention Center and features celebrity appearances, movie sneak peeks, exhibits and a look at new features at Disney theme parks.
Highlights of the D23 Expo include:
- A behind-the-scenes glimpse at the studio’s upcoming film slate.
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will present its “great big beautiful tomorrow” with a sneak peek at new experiences in the works for Disney Parks around the world, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Disney Vacation Club.
- A Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit that will offer a unique glimpse into the fantastic world of the Walt Disney Archives. The never-before-seen showcase will include costumes and props from productions ranging from Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and Pirates of the Caribbean to Tron and Lost.
- The Disney Living pavilion, presented by Disney Consumer Products, offering a look at never-before-seen products, collections and experiences. Fans also have a chance to meet the artists, designers, authors and innovators who create the magic, and join in hands-on demos, activities and immersive environments.
- Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior will offer special appearances from the stars from their biggest shows and once-in-a-lifetime experiences sure to delight the whole family.
- Radio Disney offers music, fun, games and the chance to meet some favorite Radio Disney stars.
- Disney Interactive Media Group pavilion will bring beloved stories and characters to life digitally though exciting new interactive experiences. Guests will be able to try out new and upcoming games for videogame consoles, mobile and online, as well as fun creative activities from Disney.com.
- The D23 Expo Dream Store will be filled with D23-themed merchandise and other specialty items from Disney Theme Park Merchandise.
- Disney Fan Art Gallery will feature the creative talents of D23 Members at D23 Expo 2011, putting the “spot”-light on 101 Dalmatians.
- Collectors Forum will be the ultimate Disney marketplace for fans. Collectors, dealers and other vendors will have the opportunity to showcase their collections in this ultimate forum for buying, selling and trading Disney merchandise and memorabilia. This year, in addition to Disney, Pixar and ABC collectibles, the Forum will feature items from the amazing worlds of Marvel and Star Wars.
- Ultimate Disney Trivia Tournament, presented by Hasbro’s Trivial Pursuit — Disney Edition. Trials for the tournament will take place Aug. 18 at the Convention Center, the day before the Expo opens.
- D23 Expo 2011 also will feature the Disney Legends Awards, which pay tribute to the talented men and women who have made indelible contributions to the Disney legacy.
Tickets for D23 Expo 2011 are available at a discounted price through June 30. All D23 members can take advantage of additional exclusive admission savings at www.D23Expo.com.