Filmmaker Ralph Bakshi and acclaimed producer Yvette Kaplan are among the animation and movie making professionals set to present awards at the 25th annual Dusty Film & Animation Festival and Awards.
The festival presents films made by students in the School of Visual Arts’ animation, film and video programs, with the awards going to the festival’s best. Kaplan will present the Outstanding Animated Film Award.
Kaplan, an SVA alumni whose credits include Ice Age, King of the Hill and Beavis and Butt-head, also will be receiving one of two inaugural Dusty Alumni Awards, along with producer Randall Emmett, whose credits include Lone Survivor, End of Watch and Two Guns.
Bakshi, whose long career includes directing the animated features Fritz the Cat, Wizards and The Lord of the Rings, will present the awards for outstanding achievement in character animation and production design.
Additional awards presenters include:
- Michael Moore (Roger & Me, Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11), who was a presenter at the first Dusty Awards 25 years ago, presenting the Outstanding Documentary Award;
- Michael Cuesta (Homeland, Dexter, Elementary) presenting the Outstanding Achievement in Directing Award;
- Frank Prinzi (The Blacklist, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Night of the Living Dead) presenting the Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography Award;
- Three-time Oscar winner Chris Newman (The Exorcist, Amadeus, The English Patient) presenting the Gotham Sound Grants;
- New York Women in Film & Television President Alexis Alexanian (Pieces of April, Tadpole, Chelsea Walls) presenting the New York Women in Film & Television Award;
- Media personality Valerie Smaldone, returning to emcee the ceremony.
The festival runs May 10-13 with the awards set for May 13 at 6:30 p.m. at the SVA Theatre at 333 W. 23rd St., New York City. All festival screenings are free and open to the public.
This year’s Headlining Sponsors include: AbelCine; Act Zero Films; Adorama Rental Company; Animation Magazine; B&H Photo; Bryan Singer; Carlos Saldanha/BottleCap Productions; Channel Frederator Network; Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films; Feature Systems/Kits and Expendables; Foto Care; Gotham Sound & Communications, Inc.; Independent Filmmaker Project; New York Women in Film & Television; Nice Shoes; Rota6; SCS Agency, Inc.; Squarespace; SVA Campus Store; and Technicolor-PostWorks New York. One hundred percent of the sponsors’ donations will benefit thesis students in the form of grants and in-kind awards.
For more information, visit: dusty.sva.edu.