Twelve animated features are on the shortlist for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s Best Animated Feature Golden Globe category. The HFPA can choose up to five films for the final nominee list. The list is very close to the familiar titles up for an Oscar nod, with the exception of Hiromasa Yonebayashi’s The Secret World of Arrietty, which didn’t qualify.
The 12 films on the shortlist, in alphabetical order, are:
- Brave (Disney/Pixar)
- Frankenweenie (Disney)
- From Up on Poppy Hill (GKIDS)
- Hotel Transylvania (Sony Animation)
- Ice Age: Continental Drift (Fox/Blue Sky)
- The Lorax (Universal, Illumination)
- Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted (DreamWorks/Paramount)
- ParaNorman (LAIKA, Focus)
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits (Sony/Aardman)
- Rise of the Guardians (DreamWorks/Paramount)
- The Secret World of Arrietty (Disney/Ghibli)
- Wreck-it Ralph (Disney)
In 2009 the HFPA upped the maximum number of nominations for this category from three to five. The HFPA will announce its official list of nominees on December 13. The 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards will be held on January 13, 2013. To be eligible for a Golden Globe, films must be released and screened for at least seven days in Los Angeles during the year prior to the award ceremony.